Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Web Page hosting

So i want to start a web page for my buisness. i know i can get a domain name from godaddy.com. but i dont want to pay for hosting. its going to be a very simple web page with low traffic maybe 10 visits a day if im lucky. its mostly going to be for customers to view what services we offer and show are availability.

what options do i have for web hosting services? can i use my own personal computer to host a web page?

Good question, I'll be watching this thread too. I hate paying for hosting.

+1
    I think geocities.com offers free web hosting. Thats the site I used when I did web site projects for school.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    I think geocities.com offers free web hosting...
    Geocities is no more.

"...With the closure of GeoCities in the U.S., Yahoo! no longer offers free webpage hosting except in Japan.[19]..."

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    So i want to start a web page for my business. i know i can get a domain name from godaddy.com. but I don't want to pay for hosting.

its going to be a very simple web page with low traffic maybe 10 visits a day if I'm lucky. Its mostly going to be for customers to view what services we offer and show are availability.

what options do i have for web hosting services?
    can i use my own personal computer to host a web page?
    Well, one option is to use the free Google Sites
    You can create simple web sites, and even host downloadable files (think PDF) for your customers to view and/or print.

Click the link in my signature to see a non-prettified Google Sites web site.
    Tip: I pay $1.88 per year for a ShortURL.com redirection to the google hosted web site. This is instead of paying for an actual Domain name.

Not only does it give me a URL that I (partially) control, but I also get traffic reports showing every time the shorturl redirection gets used, both unique visitors and total traffic.

I also utilize the URL Masking and Prefix Forwarding features that hide the actual host web address, and show the shorturl instead.

If I need to relocate the actual web site to some other host, I just update the shortURL account, and automatically all visitors get sent to the new host. Takes less than a minute to change the host URL pointer.
    There are other free web hosting services around, I just happen to be happy with the simple Google Sites offering.
    List of free web hosting services

Find out if your current Internet service includes a free or cheap web hosting service. If it does, you can use a URL redirection service to control the public link.

If it really is going to support your business, then work out what it is worth to you to have that online exposure, with a site where you can control the look, the URL, and the content.

You can host a web site on your personal computer, but often that is more hassle than it is worth. The computer needs to be running 24/7, and not crash. Your Internet service provider may not allow web hosting. You may have issues with your IP address changing unexpectedly, which may cause your site to become unavailable to the outside world.

There are lots of hosting services available for about $10 per month, sometimes less. I also use Yahoo for some hosting, partially for the unlimited bandwidth included.

...includes unlimited disk space, data transfer, and email storage, plus 1,000 email addresses and all the features of your current plan: free site building tools (including our Site Solution), support for third-party design and scripting tools, reliable security, 24-hour support, and discounts on search engine and other tools that can help you attract customers...
    The better web hosting services include lots of online tools to help design and maintain your web site, customer support, and tools to manage and analyze the traffic (visitors). And you want 24/7 responsiveness when questions or problems arise (which they will).

For a low cost PAY web host service, have a look at Hostica
    I have not used Hostica yet, but others I know seem happy with the service.

Hosting Plans Starting at $1 per month
    Comes with your own webspace, email account, ftp access, and much more...
    Manage your hosting with the Hsphere Control Panel, and all plans now include SiteStudio.
    Host 1 Domain with 1 GB of space for $1 per month.
    Other plan options include 5 Domains with 5 GB of space for $5 per month, and now with our Jackpot! Plan, host UNLIMITED domains with 30 GB of space for only $19 per month.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    man your cheap it like 4 buck a month

If you have a decent bandwidth both up and down and your ISP allows it (doesn't block port 80) you could host it right from your house.

XP professional will support your site via IIS. Although I would recommend Apache.

And if your ISP does block port 80 there are ways around that as well.....

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    If you have a decent bandwidth both up and down and your ISP allows it (doesn't block port 80) you could host it right from your house.

XP professional will support your site via IIS. Although I would recommend Apache.

And if your ISP does block port 80 there are ways around that as well.....

i dont think getting hacked is part of his business plan.

try googles hosting, they will host your mail and domain too via the google apps offerings...they are pretty good if privacy and confidentiality do not mean anything to you

Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    i dont think getting hacked is part of his business plan.
    Firewall...???

+1
    thanks for the response guys

Quote Originally Posted by Glenozzy View Post
    man your cheap it like 4 buck a month
    the problem is they kinda lie. i looked into intuits set up because i saw their advertisement on tv. they come across as being cheap but by the time you get done with what you want and or need it goes from like 10 bucks a month to like 50. now i know 50 bucks isnt a lot especially when you look at the money im forking out for other things. but a web page isnt a necessity for my buisness right now and i don't have a lot of income. but i have a lot of expenditures. im spending approximately 10 g a month on equipment right now. that doesn't count my labors or fuel and yard rental fees. Last month i was operating in the red and i project i will be for the next few months maybe April ill see a turn around i dont want to be locked into any thing right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information