Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ecu's

+1

ecu's

just what to know the ins and outs with the two ecu's

riva pro 8650rpm or rotax racing 8800rpm for a 04 4-tec sc engine???

i want peoples views and problems they have had with the two...

I have both and would say for the rec rider the riva is by far the best choice.Blew up my engine twice running the rotax 8800 partially due to poor fuel here in thailand but the riva is very safe and performance between the two was almost identical.The riva also retains all the functions like des and others.Knock control is very important if running less than perfect fuel.I do love the high rpms of the rotax but i hate the repair bills

SPEED COMES 1/10 @ A TIME SpeedFreeks Racing's Avatar
    +1

riva/rotax ecu

here are my findings with a riva box vers the rotax ecu back to back test:

riva ecu 8600 rpm 87mph / rotax 8650 ecu 8520 rpm loss of 80 rpm
    riva ecu 8600 rpm 87mph / rotax 8800 ecu 8480 rpm loss of 120 rpm

this test was with only changing the ecu/injectors to dail in a/f... the riva ecu pulls more rpm than the rotax ecu's as well as much better bottom and mid power. after i got the a/f dialed in on each ecu i then dailed in the prop for each box. above you can see the loss in rpm from ecu to ecu... the higher rpm ecu's seem to make less power all around power than the lower rpm ecu's.

after the a/f was dialed in with each of the rotax box's i then de-pitched each prop to acheve the correct rpm the 8650 box was de-pitched 1 deg for 8600 rpm and the speed was a few tenths SLOWER than the riva ecu. i did the same for the 8800 box and i had to de-pitch the prop 5 deg to get the rpm to 8750 and my speed was 1mph SLOWER @8750rpm. the 8800 box seemed to have even less bottom and mid power than the 8650 ecu untill i de-pitched the prop 5 deg to get the rpm up to 8750 but with having the prop de-pitched 5 deg the ski seemed to fall flat on it's face on top end.... even with having the prop de-pitch 5 deg the bottom and mid still did not feel as powerfull than the riva ecu.

these are just my findings...

SPEED COMES 1/10 @ A TIME SpeedFreeks Racing's Avatar
    +1

riva/rotax ecu

here are my findings with a riva box vers the rotax ecu back to back test:

riva ecu 8600 rpm 87mph / rotax 8650 ecu 8520 rpm loss of 80 rpm
    riva ecu 8600 rpm 87mph / rotax 8800 ecu 8480 rpm loss of 120 rpm

this test was with only changing the ecu/injectors to dail in a/f... the riva ecu pulls more rpm than the rotax ecu's as well as much better bottom and mid power. after i got the a/f dialed in on each ecu i then dailed in the prop for each box. above you can see the loss in rpm from ecu to ecu... the higher rpm ecu's seem to make less power all around power than the lower rpm ecu's.

after the a/f was dialed in with each of the rotax box's i then de-pitched each prop to acheve the correct rpm the 8650 box was de-pitched 1 deg for 8600 rpm and the speed was a few tenths SLOWER than the riva ecu. i did the same for the 8800 box and i had to de-pitch the prop 5 deg to get the rpm to 8750 and my speed was 1mph SLOWER @8750rpm. the 8800 box seemed to have even less bottom and mid power than the 8650 ecu untill i de-pitched the prop 5 deg to get the rpm up to 8750 but with having the prop de-pitched 5 deg the ski seemed to fall flat on it's face on top end.... even with having the prop de-pitch 5 deg the bottom and mid still did not feel as powerfull than the riva ecu.

these are just my findings...

+1
    Pretty convincing to me! Next Winter I will be getting a Riva ECU, 50's and Lightweight retainers!

+1
    Very surprising results,i really thought the rotax ecu was more aggresive.

I'm installing a rotax ecu right now,no knock control,but in the Netherlands we have premium fuel available.

I really chose the Rotax for the more agressive mapping,but i have to wait with testing,because of freezing temperature

Still think it's strange because in racing,rotax is the winner.

ROTAX RACING performance
    +1
    to make it clear, Erik from Speedfreeks is one of the best guys in the US,

but the timming is high in the ROTAX RACING ECU , and your setup needs to be perfekt, fuel , water temp, etc. pumpgas is no problem if you have min 93 US or 98 europe. for high boost , the choice of IC allready plays a role and the ROTAX RACING IC has lower output temp as teh RIVA GEN1 and GEN2

if you run high boost the ROTAX RACING setup with the 8600 or 8800 ECU is not easy, it is not just about getting the AFR right , you need to look at the EGTs as well.
    if you want to run high boost you need a IGNI power system if you want higher RPM as RIVA 8600.

for lower boost the ROTAX RACING ECUs work perfekt, and with high compression the accelleration is crazy.

you can not just change the ROTAX RACING ECU for the RIVA, you will never get a good result on a high boost setup, your setup has to mach the ROTAX ECU specs.

I have run on lowboost 14-15 psi with high compression on pumpgas 87 mpH on a ROTAX RACING ECU 8800 with Speedfreeks rideplate !!!. and 88.2 mpH with IGNI Power at 9100

Erik has lost 1 mph with the 8800 to the RIVA ECU after depitching the prop to get the ski up in the powerband, if you depitch a prop 5 degree, the prop will not be good for accelleration and topspeed, i have never a problem to find the right prop setup for the ROTAX ECU

Lemoine the offshore pilot races with a 8800 mapping in the IGNI power with only 12.8 psi and his RXT-X is 81 mpH , there is no faster offshore ski available in the world. but the setup musst be perfekt.

I build many skis , also dragracing , and some customer come with a RIVA ECU from there old setup, the get a ROTAX RACING setup and pay a lot , and no one wants to change back.

at ROTAX RACING factory we made a test with a B-Kit setup on the dyno , and the RIVA ECU made 288 HP on a stock RXP-X engine with B-Kit 14.5 psi and RIVA ECU and 50 lb Injectors. thats a very good result

on the same dyno the ROTAX RACING 8800 ECU made 294 HP at 8780 RPM with the B-Kit and 60 lb Injectors ( the fuel pressure had dropped to 48 psi, thats why the power was down a bit , as the orginal 2008 RXP-X fuel pump / regulator is not perfekt as we all know.

also a lot of guys buy 2nd hand RR ECUs , they need to be reset at the factory to have your throttlebody sensor work perfekt !

all seadoo world and europen champion titels has been achived with ROTAX RACING setups, never some one has win 1 moto with a RIVA ECU . because you can never beat the factory.

back in 2005 i had 81.3 mph with a 8600 ECU only with a ROTAX RACING spacer impeller 10.5 psi and ROTAX RACING pistons, the RIVA stage 3 setup has the same boost and RPM, but most only get 79 mpH- so the ROTAX RACING ECU cant be bad if you have the right setup.

and every one that seen my video knows the the low end of the ROTAX RACING setup / ECU is the best in the world, you can take what ski you want stock or light hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RE_SE [50%].jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	171522  

ROTAX RACING performance
    +1
    and as you can read in Eriks post the low end power of the ROTAX RACING 8800 ECU was not as good until he repiched for target RPM, you allways need to have the prop setup right for target RPM.

8800 ECU = 8720-8800

8600 ECU = 8500-8600

Quote Originally Posted by mrracing View Post

but the timming is high in the ROTAX RACING ECU , and your setup needs to be perfekt, fuel , water temp, etc. pumpgas is no problem if you have min 93 US or 98 europe. for high boost , the choice of IC allready plays a role and the ROTAX RACING IC has lower output temp as teh RIVA GEN1 and GEN2

if you run high boost the ROTAX RACING setup with the 8600 or 8800 ECU is not easy, it is not just about getting the AFR right , you need to look at the EGTs as well.
    if you want to run high boost you need a IGNI power system if you want higher RPM as RIVA 8600.

for lower boost the ROTAX RACING ECUs work perfekt, and with high compression the accelleration is crazy.

you can not just change the ROTAX RACING ECU for the RIVA, you will never get a good result on a high boost setup, your setup has to mach the ROTAX ECU specs.

I have run on lowboost 14-15 psi with high compression on pumpgas 87 mpH on a ROTAX RACING ECU 8800 with Speedfreeks rideplate !!!. and 88.2 mpH with IGNI Power at 9100

Erik has lost 1 mph with the 8800 to the RIVA ECU after depitching the prop to get the ski up in the powerband, if you depitch a prop 5 degree, the prop will not be good for accelleration and topspeed, i have never a problem to find the right prop setup for the ROTAX ECU

Lemoine the offshore pilot races with a 8800 mapping in the IGNI power with only 12.8 psi and his RXT-X is 81 mpH , there is no faster offshore ski available in the world. but the setup musst be perfekt.

I build many skis , also dragracing , and some customer come with a RIVA ECU from there old setup, the get a ROTAX RACING setup and pay a lot , and no one wants to change back.

at ROTAX RACING factory we made a test with a B-Kit setup on the dyno , and the RIVA ECU made 288 HP on a stock RXP-X engine with B-Kit 14.5 psi and RIVA ECU and 50 lb Injectors. thats a very good result

on the same dyno the ROTAX RACING 8800 ECU made 294 HP at 8780 RPM with the B-Kit and 60 lb Injectors ( the fuel pressure had dropped to 48 psi, thats why the power was down a bit , as the orginal 2008 RXP-X fuel pump / regulator is not perfekt as we all know.

also a lot of guys buy 2nd hand RR ECUs , they need to be reset at the factory to have your throttlebody sensor work perfekt !

all seadoo world and europen champion titels has been achived with ROTAX RACING setups, never some one has win 1 moto with a RIVA ECU . because you can never beat the factory.

back in 2005 i had 81.3 mph with a 8600 ECU only with a ROTAX RACING spacer impeller 10.5 psi and ROTAX RACING pistons, the RIVA stage 3 setup has the same boost and RPM, but most only get 79 mpH- so the ROTAX RACING ECU cant be bad if you have the right setup.

and every one that seen my video knows the the low end of the ROTAX RACING setup / ECU is the best in the world, you can take what ski you want stock or light hull.
    Never Ever? It sounds as though your mouth is writing checks you cant cash Compadre! Enjoy the Riva ECU, Peak Powersports Turbo Family boat show that holeshots 2 Cooke boats. Including Les himself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrracing View Post

Lots of answers to a few of my own questions in this post!

Excellent info Malte!
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information