99 xpl wire head spin!!

i tried to start my 99 xpl yesterday.. when pressing start all it did was make a loud click from the solanoid, charged the battery fully, renewed all main battery leads and ground. still a loud clicking noise... changed starter motor still to hear the clicking. so i unbolted the electrical box that the solanoid is situated.. to find there is a black wire that connects to the back top on the outside had snapped off. when connecting it back up it fired straight away! the wire doesn't look like it goes to anything to earth it.. what is this wire??

+1
    Can you take a pic of the E-box and the wire?

It is hard to tell which one you are talking about sight unseen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by clownhands View Post
    i tried to start my 99 xpl yesterday.. when pressing start all it did was make a loud click from the solanoid, charged the battery fully, renewed all main battery leads and ground. still a loud clicking noise... changed starter motor still to hear the clicking. so i unbolted the electrical box that the solanoid is situated.. to find there is a black wire that connects to the back top on the outside had snapped off. when connecting it back up it fired straight away! the wire doesn't look like it goes to anything to earth it.. what is this wire??
    That wire is for grounding the plugs to the block-- if I am guessing the wire you are refering to. Your actual problem is most likely your starter relay is on its last leg-- distinct clicking sound-- you can test it.

will get a pic loaded up today. It must have been breaking down for a while because its turning over twice as fast now.

this is the wire on the back of the box...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wire.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	408.9 KB 
ID:	171650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07022010265.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	340.7 KB 
ID:	171651  

is that the answer? how does it ground?

+1
    is that the answer? how does it ground?
    Yes, that is a ground wire. It has nothing to do with your clicking sound-- your starter relay inside that box is VERY common to go bad. You can test the relay by connecting 12 volts to the small plug with the correct plug and read the OHMs across the poles. I find if it is less than 1 ohm it is working just fine. If you get a reading higher it is resistance and when it reads 5+ your machine will have intermitent problems even with a new battery. The clicking is just the switch making contact, but does not mean the contacts are good.

seemed strange that soon as it got connected it fired straight away. Then soon as i disconnected it the clicking came back. God dam seadoo's :-*

+1
    seemed strange that soon as it got connected it fired straight away. Then soon as i disconnected it the clicking came back. God dam seadoo's :-*
    When you can turn the problem ON and OFF by the changes you make you know you have solved the problem. I was just speaking of my experiences and the function of the grounding leads for the plugs wired to the block

Thread Information