Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

+1

1996 Seadoo XP questions

Hello everyone!

I am always finding myself here when I do research on my sea doo, so I figured I might as well join up. Having access to so many knowledgeable people on the topic of seadoos at your finger tips is valuable to say the least.

I am the proud owner of a 1995 Seadoo XP 718cc and a 1996 Seadoo XP 787cc. I have had the 95 for two years and last year was my first year with the 96. The 95 is my girlfriends, it is un-modded and very dependable since I stay up on maintenance and replace anything it ever needs. (Well I stay up on the bill at least)

My 1996 sat for a couple years before I got it, it had a rough start last summer just getting the kinks out (rusted electrical) but after it last trip to the shop in June in ran mostly great for the rest of the year.

The previous owner installed:

Factory Spec ll exhaust
    TDR water baffle box
    UMI steering
    K&N air filter
    R&D intake (not sure exactly what parts or size)
    Solas Prop (not sure which pitch)

Mighty nice of him considering I snatched it for $1700 with the trailer.

Current issues with the 96 xp:

1. Sometimes when I am riding, all of a sudden I will lose most my throttle, and the sea doo will bog down....I will feather the throttle for a few seconds at a time, eventually it open right up and screams. Also when this happens if you shut it down and start it right back up its normal for a bit.

Any guess as to what might be causing this?

The carburetors were rebuilt last summer before I ever even took it out. I run sea foam usually twice a year to keep everything cleaned up.

2.The rear exhaust piston leaks oil down my block, I am sure my mechanic will figure this out when I tell him I want it fixed, but any idea ahead of time what the flaw is?

3. VTS is out on both skis, I plan on getting them fixed this year. I am considering the hydraulic R&D trim, its $325 bucks, is it awesome and dependable?

4. Fuel gauge on 96 doesn't work I am hoping it is not the sending unit and just the gauge. Any cool gauges for these things?

Okay we have the current problems out of the way, now how about what I plan to do. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff, so if you see anything I list that’s not worth it, or there are better options please feel free to share.

R&D Hydraulic Trim System for SeaDoo VTS Models $325.00
    New Bow Eye $20.00
    Chrome sea doo 3 button start/stop trim holder $92.00
    R&D performance nozzle $256.48
    Meguiar’s Fiberglass restoration system $35.00
    Seat cover $120.00
    Beach house side spoonsons $170.00
    R&D intake grate $130.00
    Hydroturf $110.00
    R&D Trim Wings $100.00 +3 degrees reduces top end loss
    single gauge hood $142.82 shipped
    Decal Kit $125.00
    MSD Ignition Enhancer CDI $350.00
    New seat seal $10
    These 3 are optional and I just want to have them done for peace of mind:
    Top End Rebuild kit $260.00
    Jet Pump rebuild kit $50.00
    New Starter $100.00

Is there anything you would add? Take away?
    Is meguirs restoration kit the best for gel coat restoration?
    For the single gauge hood I just order the 95 xp 800 hood right? Bolt right on?
    Know of any places to order a head?
    I really want to just strip this girl down to her naked hull and rebuild from the ground up, also with custom paint but I don't have a garage to work in right now. I plan to keep this thing for a LONNNNG time, it’s my hotrod.
    Sorry this is so long but I like to give the details, I will be reading and I am sure answering some questions but I appreciate any input you have. Thanks in advance and I am glad to be here!

flyin' the friendly skies
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebonger View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am always finding myself here when I do research on my sea doo, so I figured I might as well join up. Having access to so many knowledgeable people on the topic of seadoos at your finger tips is valuable to say the least.

I am the proud owner of a 1995 Seadoo XP 718cc and a 1996 Seadoo XP 787cc. I have had the 95 for two years and last year was my first year with the 96. The 95 is my girlfriends, it is un-modded and very dependable since I stay up on maintenance and replace anything it ever needs. (Well I stay up on the bill at least)

My 1996 sat for a couple years before I got it, it had a rough start last summer just getting the kinks out (rusted electrical) but after it last trip to the shop in June in ran mostly great for the rest of the year.

The previous owner installed:

Factory Spec ll exhaust
    TDR water baffle box
    UMI steering
    K&N air filter
    R&D intake (not sure exactly what parts or size) this is on the bottom of your ski. its the metal grate where water enters the pump
    Solas Prop (not sure which pitch) most likely an XO but you have to take the pump off to find out

Mighty nice of him considering I snatched it for $1700 with the trailer.nice find!

Current issues with the 96 xp:

1. Sometimes when I am riding, all of a sudden I will lose most my throttle, and the sea doo will bog down....I will feather the throttle for a few seconds at a time, eventually it open right up and screams. Also when this happens if you shut it down and start it right back up its normal for a bit.

Any guess as to what might be causing this? clean the carbs your internal filters are plugged.

The carburetors were rebuilt last summer before I ever even took it out. I run sea foam usually twice a year to keep everything cleaned up.

2.The rear exhaust piston leaks oil down my block, I am sure my mechanic will figure this out when I tell him I want it fixed, but any idea ahead of time what the flaw is? from where? the plug hole on the head or the bottom where the jugs meet the crank case?

3. VTS is out on both skis, I plan on getting them fixed this year. I am considering the hydraulic R&D trim, its $325 bucks, is it awesome and dependable? stick with the stock VTS. you can find them here cheaper than buying new. look in the classified or the online store on the left.

4. Fuel gauge on 96 doesn't work I am hoping it is not the sending unit and just the gauge. Any cool gauges for these things? its always the fuel baffle. there is a quick fix the top of the 2 stroke page

Okay we have the current problems out of the way, now how about what I plan to do. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff, so if you see anything I list thatís not worth it, or there are better options please feel free to share. if you have a mechanic do all the above you are going to have a lot of money tied into question #2 much like the rest of the questions.

R&D Hydraulic Trim System for SeaDoo VTS Models $325.00
    New Bow Eye $20.00
    Chrome sea doo 3 button start/stop trim holder $92.00
    R&D performance nozzle $256.48
    Meguiarís Fiberglass restoration system $35.00
    Seat cover $120.00
    Beach house side spoonsons $170.00 I have some of these but they are not beachhouse
    R&D intake grate $130.00
    Hydroturf $110.00
    R&D Trim Wings $100.00 +3 degrees reduces top end loss
    single gauge hood $142.82 shipped I have this a lot cheaper...check my signature
    Decal Kit $125.00 dont put them back on ...tacky
    MSD Ignition Enhancer CDI $350.00
    New seat seal $10
    These 3 are optional and I just want to have them done for peace of mind:
    Top End Rebuild kit $260.00
    Jet Pump rebuild kit $50.00
    New Starter $100.00

Is there anything you would add? Take away?
    Is meguirs restoration kit the best for gel coat restoration?
    For the single gauge hood I just order the 95 xp 800 hood right? Bolt right on?not really. you have to change gauges but bolts right up
    Know of any places to order a head? what kind of head? look in the classifieds. you can tell the people who may have the parts your looking for specifically.
    I really want to just strip this girl down to her naked hull and rebuild from the ground up, also with custom paint thats going to be expensive. but I don't have a garage to work in right now. I plan to keep this thing for a LONNNNG time, itís my hotrod.
    Sorry this is so long but I like to give the details, I will be reading and I am sure answering some questions but I appreciate any input you have. Thanks in advance and I am glad to be here!

Welcome to the Forum!....remember the search button is your friend.

+1
    Oh yeah I am very familiar with these types of forums and searching through, I get sucked in and end up spending hours plugging away. Thanks for the kind welcome.

"Tearing it up on the water"
    You can buy a new MSD enhancer from Summit Racing for $299.00. Whoever is asking $350 is smoking some good chronic!!! As for the single gauge pod hood, i bought a 95 sp hood from a guy for like $60 shipped. $142 is way to much...

Nick
    +1
    Most of the time the problem with the vts is the fuse inside the box.... the hard part is getting the cover back on, that rubber seal sucks!!

Where do you normally ride?

+1
    Well my favorite place to ride is Lake Charlevoix I live around the Lansing area and I ride on small private lakes around the area, but no where particular. Also I spend some time at Higgins Lake.

Cool thanks for letting me know about summit racing.

Questionabout the MSD:

Will the MSD allow me to get rid of the whole MPEM computer fuse unit?

Will I have to run 2 spark plugs with this unit?

Thats good to know that 1995 SP's have the hood I want, but it is probably not yellow? Personally I would rather have my hood be black but I figure if I can't find one stock black yellow is my next best bet. I don't mind throwing some money at this thing, I have a nice budget to work with, this is my baby, I will never let it go

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebonger View Post
    Well my favorite place to ride is Lake Charlevoix I live around the Lansing area and I ride on small private lakes around the area, but no where particular. Also I spend some time at Higgins Lake.

Cool thanks for letting me know about summit racing.

Questionabout the MSD:

Will the MSD allow me to get rid of the whole MPEM computer fuse unit? no it replaces the ignition unit.

Will I have to run 2 spark plugs with this unit?
    yes...why wouldnt you?

Thats good to know that 1995 SP's have the hood I want, but it is probably not yellow? Personally I would rather have my hood be black but I figure if I can't find one stock black yellow is my next best bet. I don't mind throwing some money at this thing, I have a nice budget to work with, this is my baby, I will never let it go
    PM sent on the hood your looking for
    here a go

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    #1 is the rectifier failing, not the carbs.

Welcome to GH!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    #1 is the rectifier failing, not the carbs.

Welcome to GH!
    I thought that that rectifier just went when it was time...i didnt realize that it slowly failed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information