Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

XPL Coupler & Shaft Play.

just got her running, and I noticed that there is alot of play back and forth on the coupler shaft, I checked all of the couplers to find an adjustment, nut but nothing, how is this possible? the engine cannot go back any further, to get rid of the gap.

My idea is drilling a hole on the coupler and threading it and installing an adjustment screw, or two.
    This will be done to the couplers in the rear of the ski. under the shock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coupler gap.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	469.2 KB 
ID:	171818

Can't see too well on the photo but is the rubber cush drive installed ?

+1
    yeah, I also took the pump off, and pushed the shaft forward and it cut the slack.

I'm looking to see if there supposed to be a rubber insert at the end of the shaft where the pump meets,

+1
    Take some dimes and put them down in the prop then put it back on you may endup with like 6 dimes in there but it works perfect

+1
    I just looked on the parts list and yeah there is a big piece missing that goes in between the shaft and the pump.

I will cut a piece of rubber and insert it.

also the water leak, happened to be some thrash stuck in between it.

I'm just guessing, but if the back coupler is like the front, then it needs a rubber piece too. The rubber piece takes up any vibration and prevent metal-on-metal wear in the couplers. I don't think it would be a good isea to run without it. Did you align your motor? I saw a tech video on PWCToday talking about how to use a straightedge or feeler gauge to make sure that the couplers where aligned properly. Seemed like a good way to align the motor...

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    I just looked on the parts list and yeah there is a big piece missing that goes in between the shaft and the pump.

I will cut a piece of rubber and insert it.

also the water leak, happened to be some thrash stuck in between it.

Dude, again I'm just guessing, but I think those rubber pieces (I call them spiders) are made of a special kind of rubber depending on the application. I use them at work between motors and gearboxes. You might be able to find one in grainger or MSC cheaper than Seadoo. Look for Lovejoy couplers.

The shaft is supposed to have a rubber bumper on the end were it goes in the impeller. The drive tube is supposed to have Rubber spiders at both ends and a delrin plastic bushing on the engine drive coupling and the pump shaft at the Drive tube end to keep the tube aligned. all are very important

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark22 View Post
    Dude, again I'm just guessing, but I think those rubber pieces (I call them spiders) are made of a special kind of rubber depending on the application. I use them at work between motors and gearboxes. You might be able to find one in grainger or MSC cheaper than Seadoo. Look for Lovejoy couplers.
    yes, maybe I didnt make it clear but, they coupler dampers (spider thing) are in place. PEST is right, the piece is missing where the shaft meets the impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    The shaft is supposed to have a rubber bumper on the end were it goes in the impeller. The drive tube is supposed to have Rubber spiders at both ends and a delrin plastic bushing on the engine drive coupling and the pump shaft at the Drive tube end to keep the tube aligned. all are very important
    exactly, that bumper at the end is the one I'm missing, the coupler dampers are all in place.

+1
    The correct shaft end play gap should be 3mm between the coupler and the dampener at the Pto end.This is critical because with hull deflection and engine torque the coupler fingers will shear off if not gapped properly, if the engine is modded in any way this is even more pertinent and can do lots of damageif not set up. I have a few on the bench now with fingers sheared off .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information