Motor bogs down when jumping...

Recently when I jump waves continuously( back and forth behind a 30ft boat), my motor starts to sputter and bog down for about 10 sec, and then it comes back and runs fine. Is this normal?

+1
    That would be the T.O.P.S. kicking in. It protects your engine in event of a rollover. It is a pain when jumping though.

That makes sense, Thanks!

I think I saw a post on how to disable it... but it was 50/50 on whether to do it.
    In the RXT I have to jump wakes at angles because of the hull length. Jumping at an angle gives me a good distance/arc jump instead of a straight up and down jump.

The TOPS doesn't really bother me, and I'm sure I'll need it the first day I disable it. I was just concerned that I was causing harm to the ski.

DO NOT DISABLE THE TOPS THAT IS JUST PLAIN STUPID ... IT IS THE BEST FEATURE SEADOO EVER DID ITS THERE FOR A REASON AND PROB. HAS ALREADY SAVED UR MOTOR ONCE OR TWICE .. WHEN UR SKI IS UPSIDE DOWN OR VERTICAL THE INTERNALS ARE NOT GETTING PROPERLY LUBED HENCE THE TOPS

No, I agree! Thanks again!

well, it's not really disabling it completely. It's just bypassing the mercury switch that detects a roll-over. The tops system still functions in the sense that the only time the tops valve is open is when the dess key is plugged in. If you disable the mercury switch, then you have to make sure and get that lanyard yanked if it rolls over.

However, after playing around with the ski a little, I'm not 100% convinced that it's just the mercury switch causing the problem, although I can't think of any other sensor that would produce those symptoms except maybe one of the oil pressure sending units. again this is unverified as I have not disabled the mercury switch on mine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZEDRXP
    DO NOT DISABLE THE TOPS THAT IS JUST PLAIN STUPID ... IT IS THE BEST FEATURE SEADOO EVER DID ITS THERE FOR A REASON AND PROB. HAS ALREADY SAVED UR MOTOR ONCE OR TWICE .. WHEN UR SKI IS UPSIDE DOWN OR VERTICAL THE INTERNALS ARE NOT GETTING PROPERLY LUBED HENCE THE TOPS
    You actually stay sitting on your ski with it runnning underwater when it was flipped over. Your suppose to fall off so the lanyard shuts off the ski. Duh!
    Didnt you learn something from the last time this was brought up? If your reason was true then seadoo has some major design flaws in the engine that they need something like that just to protect it from not lubing it.

Thread Information