Thread: Safe At Sea ?

Safe At Sea ?

Hi all. Was hoping i could moore my 2005 Gp1300R at sea for a week or so on holiday, as i alwayed used to with my RIB.

However a local JetSki shop said it was quite possible it would sink, the prop shaft would become pitted and seals could fail - due to no anodes. Is this true, obviously I cant leave it at sea if this is the case, dont fanyc launching and recovering every day if i dont have to however...

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMagica View Post
    Hi all. Was hoping i could moore my 2005 Gp1300R at sea for a week or so on holiday, as i alwayed used to with my RIB.

However a local JetSki shop said it was quite possible it would sink, the prop shaft would become pitted and seals could fail - due to no anodes. Is this true, obviously I cant leave it at sea if this is the case, dont fanyc launching and recovering every day if i dont have to however...

Thanks

Any thing could happen, I suppose.

I would not put your scenario high on any "what if" list. If your boat were to leak, it would more than likely be from someone not putting in a drain plug, or perhaps having loose trim tabs or ride plate. The bolts that secure the tabs and plate are screwed into specialized brass nuts that are glued inside of the GPR. They sometime get detatch from the hull, and when the bolts are loose, water can seap in around the nuts.... especially if you ride without trim tabs

There also have been cases where the hull has cracked around the intake bolts or pump intakes have been cracked and the hull leaked. I'm assumeing however that your GPR is seaworthy.

I'm sure that you are aware that the GPR has an OEM siphon system so that in the event water should get into your hull, it is auomaticly siphoned out once you get underway. There is also a whole lot of foam inside of your hull. In a worst case scenario your hull would sink a few inches, but not go to the bottom.

I highly doubt that what you are suggesting would happen. Not only are you dealing with stainless steel, your are also dealing with Yamaha quality. If anyone out there sunk their boat, the cause I would bet was self inflicted.

The simple test to satisfy yourself would be to check your hull after a few hours of sitting in the water. If it remains dry all day, you should have confidence that it will stay dry all night.

And yes, mine has sat in the water all night with no issues.

excellent, very helpful post. And what do you think of the claim the seawater would pit/damage and eat seals, prop and other bits involved due to lack of anodes?

i do nothing but salt water riding & have left my ski's in over night, when you take the ski out wash the whole ski with lots of water, or better yet take it for a ride in a fresh water pond, i am on my third season in the salt water, no pitting or seals failing, i also use fluid film on my ski, so imo you will be fine, just pull the seat & check that there is no water in the hull after it sits for a few hrs

+1
    Some of the issues that I know of involveing seawater are basic corrosion in places that you would expect in a sea environment. Corrosion in connections such as at the start/stop switch, battery, starter, pv's, at desimilar metals (stainless steel bolts and aluminum heads for example), the wear ring on the pump becoming warped due to salt getting between the stainless steel and aluminum body.... these kinds of things.

Polaris seems to have electronic problems more than most at connections.

I can honestly say that I know of no one who has had the problems that you describe. Once again, anything is possible. All things considered, this is not one of the things I would worry about.

If you ride in sea water, flush your engine well, hose the outside of the engine and exhaust with fresh water, drain the hull, and spray the engine compartment with some lubricant or water dispersent. When you store it, be sure to keep the seat off and let it air dry. Sometimes I blow the water off with an air compressor, or in some cases, I hose it off at a car wash and trailer it home with the seat off to allow it to dry.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    ...Polaris seems to have electronic problems more than most at connections...
    Not to Hijack the thread, but does that apply to all Polaris models/years, or mainly the pre-2000 model years?

+1
    The ones that I know of are the models from the 90's.

Seems to me that the majority of corrosion issues in PWC's have been resolved..... except with PWC's that were not properly attented to after riding. Let's not forget PWC's that have not been ridden for years.

+1
    Your engine should have anodes in it. At least, my '97 Yamaha Exciter (1100 cc engines) has some very small ones inside the water jackets. However, they're nothing like the big anodes on the new boats.

Still, on the Yamaha boating website, we don't recommend leaving the boats in the water unattended for long. Yamahas are notorious for leaking around every thru-hull fitting. I don't know about driveshaft pitting, but just because the seal doesn't leak today doesn't mean it won't leak tomorrow. Trash and corrosion can build up in the pump, making it hard to crank. There's a good chance of corrosion between the pump housing and liner, too!

Thread Information