Thread: Polaris skis

Polaris skis

I just picked up two skis a 750 sl and a slt. I was just curious are these any good? The one I was told runs the other one doesn't. That one I was told needed a starter. Its been way to cold here to check them out but I was wondering if they were generally good skis or were they nothing but problems? These are the first skis I have ever owned. I had Polaris 4 wheelers before and they were great but know nothing about there skis.
    Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

You have come to the right place for Polaris PWC

Do you know what model years your SL 750 and SLT are?
    (SLT 750, I presume...)

Fixed up and well maintained, these Fuji engined Polaris are fun rides, reliable, and fairly straight forward to work on.

You will need to spend some time reading and coming up to speed on your new-to-you machines.

Plan to go through each of them from bow to stern, checking everything. Each is probably over fifteen years old now. That means that you should not assume anything is working correctly, or doesn't need attention.

One thing is very clear with these high output 2-stroke PWC engines (of any brand). They do NOT like to be run with gummed up carbs, incorrect carb settings, or insufficient fuel flow to the engine. You can burn a hole right through a piston in minutes, sometimes less.

We have had many new members arrive with stories of how they got on their new-to-them ski, rode it for a little while, when 'all of a sudden', the power went away, and now it runs very poorly.

What did they check before they got on and went riding - not much. Piston is now damaged, so now they are looking at an engine rebuild, plus all the preventive work that should have been done up front.

Click below for some good starting info

Polaris Fuji (blue) engine

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?
    What to do to get it running, keep it running, and avoid potential damage

You may find these PWC Resources to be useful.
    Parts sources, repair services, maintenance information, model history, and more.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Newski.

Like mantioned above ^^^^^, be prepared to drop a little $$ on preventative maintainence. The skis are over 15 yrs old, and have most likely had NOTHING done to them.

The fuel system seems to be the weak link on aging Polaris. So take the time to upgrade the fuel system, and yes, you will have some fun, reliable rides.

First, what skis specifically do you now own? (year, model, and engine size)

Second, post up some pics for us to view. We may be able to see something that you may not.

Third, figure out if one or both skis are going to be used. Often times, you can take from one donor ski to make one complete ski with some good spare parts. You can then sell some of the other parts to help recoupe some of the $$ you paid for them.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome,They all ready sent you in the right direction.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!! You are in good hands! Speaking of good hands... ahhh, Keddano Manno whats up and who's that lady your mounting??

+1
    Welcome to the hulk! I have a sl and a slt also. any questions, just ask. Do you have a compression gauge leftover from your 4-wheeler use? Get some Compression numbers for us along with some pics of the outside and engine compartment. that will help a lot to idenify what year and what condition things are in.

Parts are readily available for your 2 skis. is the prop in the back of the ski look good? chunks missing or bent blades? take a flashlight into the intake grate under the ski and look at the blades/ let us know what it looks like.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Newski View Post
    I bought a jetski and this is the first chance I had to mess with it.

I hooked up a good battery and started cranking it over and nothing.

I poured a little gas in the air intake and it starts and runs until that gas was used up. I did this several times thinking maybe it would take awhile to draw the gas through since I didn't see a primer ball.

It wont run on its own. Should it have a primer ball?

The fuel pump seems to be a mechanical one that works off vacuum? Any suggestions?

The other ski is a 750 SL and that one the starter turns but doesn't engage. It appears that one will need torn apart to check the Bendix.

I guess the fun has begun.
    First off, update your Profile with your location, and what models and years PWC you have.

The model year is the last two digits of the HIN number plate on the rear deck.

Have you looked through the links provided previously?

There is a lot of good info in there

Don't bother trying to get it going right now. Start by removing the carbs and rebuilding them (on both engines).

Also replace all the fuel lines, including any inside the fuel tank. Replace the fuel filter.

Replace the oil lines and oil filter.

Remove and clean out the thermostat housing. Look for any signs of sand. Sand accumulated inside the engine water jackets can lead to overheating, so watch for it.

Check all the water hoses and clamps. Check for kinks, worn spots or other damage.

Remove, clean, and re-attach both ends of both battery cables. Pay special attention to any corrosion at the engine block connection.

Check inside the electrical box for any signs of water or corrosion.

WOW!

That is all I can say after reading many of the links on these skis. This site will be my best friend while fixing these skis providing they are worthy of fixing. The wealth of information on this site is awesome. Thanks of directing me in the right direction and now I have new knowledge to trouble shoot my problems. The 750 SLT was worked on by a boat shop in late October and they had this running. They replaced the pump on the back with another used one. They took two skis and made one running one. The guy I got the ski from is a straight shooter. He paid them $400 for what they did and he was there when they ran it. I know this unit has that auto shut off valve still in it. First I will check the compression and if its good I will go over the carbs and change the fuel pump to the upgraded 3 pipe one. One step at a time I just hope they are in good enough shape to justify the cost and effort.
    Thanks Much.

The 750 SL is a 1995 and The 750SLT is a 1994
    The 1995 750 SL was submerged at one time but ran for 2 seasons after that. This could become a parts machine, only time will tell.
    Last edited by Newski; 04-15-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Needed additional information

+1
    cool biz... they both have the same motor!. you can interchange anything between them..

When you do your compression test, take all the plugs out, hold the throttle wide open and crank at least 5 times for each test on each clyinder. Do this 3 times.

Dont use oil in the clyinders to get a better reading.. you could drop a tiny bit down them just to lube everything a tad. but not tons of it.

If your getting 120/hole. your fine. You dont want to be any further than 10%.. more like 5% difference is still ok//

My slt has 125,145,120. and runs,! dont ask me why.lol

You could take the heads off too and let us see the condition of the pistons. they can tell stories about it's past.

Pics Pics Pics, we love Pics!!!

If all pans out good so far.. Do not run the ski!..Change the fuel pump FIRST before you get all excited about running it.

Theres a few things to do before you change the fuel pump to a triple outlet one. you need to get rid of the auto cock and find a different place for the pump and get new fuel ines and check the tank lines inside the tank. mine were junk when I looked.

Theres screens on the ends of the tank pick ups too. be careful in the tank, its gas and dangerous..

The screens on the end of the fuel lines in the tank may have come off also. Check for those being on the pickup lines. The lines also are 2 different lengths, the shorter one inside is the main and the other is the reserve. Dont mix them up or else you wont have a reserve when you think you did!.

94 750 slt

Six months ago I bought a 750 slt w/#3 piston burn down, for $250.00 I thought no problem replace piston hone cyl. Ride{ WRONG } The fuel sys. from tank pick ups, all new hoses, new 3 out mikuni fuel pump, rebuilt all carbs,replaced reeds,converted to pre mix 1 new piston set, 3 sets new rings,all new gaskets, new odyssey battery.replace fuel on selector,indexed crank, many hours cleaning up & routing everything nice and neat ,I was lucky though there is still enough meat on cyls. & was able to get away with a hone on all 3 cyls, Anyways its 80 degrees here today & Im getting excited about reassembaling. Should have a nice boat for wife just in time for summer. Something about hot weather cant stop thinking about lake,launching,kids, beer, dog and about 40 gallons of pre -mix
    Good Times Brian

Thread Information