+1

Battery tender/maintainer

I only get 2-3 years out of my PWC or motorcycle battary. How many use a tender or maintainer? How long does your battery last?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you using a high grade AGM battery, or regular lead-acid batteries?

How have you been maintaining your batteries?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you using a high grade AGM battery, or regular lead-acid batteries?

How have you been maintaining your batteries?
    I've used almost every type of battery to power up the toys listed in my sig. Just wondering if a tender will give me another year or two or ?
    Last edited by driveumhard; 02-09-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: sp

I use one in the winter when my skis are winterized. I am still using the stock battery out of my 04 rxp. My 03 gtx battery just died at the end of last year. So I am getting 6ish years out of the stock battery.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    I've used almost every type of battery to power up the toys listed in my sig.

Just wondering if a tender will give me another year or two or ?
    Almost everyone who has reported using a battery maintainer like the Battery Tender brand, CTEK or BatteryMinder units, has said they were happy with the results.

I don't know if there is a concrete number of years that could be stated, but in general it seems those who use good quality battery maintainers, and have good battery maintenance practices, get much more than 2-3 years from a good quality battery.

The key is to keep the batteries fully charged, but with zero over charging, during storage and non-use periods.

If the battery is allowed to self-discharge, then gets recharged, that cycle gradually decays the battery internally. If left in a discharged state, the battery degrades even more.

Some of the better maintainers also have an anti-sulfation function that can slowly reverse and prevent plate sulfation, which is a well known cause of battery failure.

Well made AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries not only deliver higher output and longer life, they are vibration resistant. And they will not leak liquid battery acid, even if the case is cracked or punctured.
    Last edited by K447; 02-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The key is to keep the batteries fully charged, but with zero over charging, during storage and non-use periods.

If the battery is allowed to self-discharge, then gets recharged, that cycle gradually decays the battery internally. If left in a discharged state, the battery degrades even more.

Some of the better maintainers also have an anti-sulfation function that can slowly reverse and prevent plate sulfation, which is a well known cause of battery failure.
    +1 The killers are full-discharge and vibration.
    I like Deka batteries. I get about 1 year out of a walmart battery but my first Deka ETX16L is going on it's 7th year (in it's 3rd ski)

+1
    I am a little biased towards Deka's since i am a dealer for them, but i love them....I put them in all my customers skis as well as my own.

I have a 99 GTX that we bought used 3 years ago and have had the same Deka in it since we got it. I use a solar battery charger/tender all summer while the ski is tied up at our dock and I never have to worry about it not starting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I am a little biased towards Deka's since i am a dealer for them, but i love them....I put them in all my customers skis as well as my own.

I have a 99 GTX that we bought used 3 years ago and have had the same Deka in it since we got it. I use a solar battery charger/tender all summer while the ski is tied up at our dock and I never have to worry about it not starting.
    Whats up with the refurbished Deka pwc battery You have any. I have been running on, with two skies for 3 years on refurbished? Lee

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    Whats up with the refurbished Deka pwc battery You have any. I have been running on, with two skies for 3 years on refurbished? Lee

I dont stock any of their batteries, I get them from Deka as needed since business is VERY SLOW..I didnt even get any phone calls for winterizations this year....????

I didnt know they had refurb units, next time I contact them I will ask and let you know.I you need or want one, PM me..

Thread Information