Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blow-off valve...just for sound and reducing wear on SC clutches?

Is there any other reason to spend the $200 on one?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim-C180 View Post
    Is there any other reason to spend the $200 on one?
    Not unless you want a future boost leak, or are running ceramic washers... and I certainly hope you aren't

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Not unless you want a future boost leak, or are running ceramic washers... and I certainly hope you aren't
    LOL

thanks

What you REALLY need is one of these:

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I should get that on my car

+1
    The Tial Valve will not leak at all.. they are 100% reliable, outside of user error.

There is a very good reason to run the BOV. it prolongs the life of the SC clutches and the bearings. Everytime you close the throttle from full boost, the engine for a second continues to spin at 8000+ RPM mechanically driving the compressor wheel, but there is no where for that boost to go, Therefore it must slip the clutches, as the compressor wheel wants to stop right now... not to mention the compressor surge is hell on the intercooler core, and with a blow off valve you are much less likely to ever pop a boost hose off..

Have you ever felt the volume of air that surges from the BOV when free revving the engine??

A BOV like more upgrades is not just bolt on and go. it like most parts must be tuned. I machine a shim for the inside of the TiAL valve to restrict movement of the piston so that I just dump the minimum amount of boost necessary to keep the compressor from surging. If you over dump you will have a lag when off and on the throttle..

There is a very good Bosch valve that comes on every turbo charged Porsche or Audi, or VW. they are small enough that you dont really need to mod them, and they are very reliable. You can try those too.. They are not rebuildable and offer no "bling Factor" just black plastic..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOV TiAL Q_TMR.jpg 
Views:	1034 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	172017  

Quote Originally Posted by Louis914 View Post
    The Tial Valve will not leak at all.. they are 100% reliable, outside of user error.

There is a very good reason to run the BOV. it prolongs the life of the SC clutches and the bearings. Everytime you close the throttle from full boost, the engine for a second continues to spin at 8000+ RPM mechanically driving the compressor wheel, but there is no where for that boost to go, Therefore it must slip the clutches, as the compressor wheel wants to stop right now... not to mention the compressor surge is hell on the intercooler core, and with a blow off valve you are much less likely to ever pop a boost hose off..

Have you ever felt the volume of air that surges from the BOV when free revving the engine??

A BOV like more upgrades is not just bolt on and go. it like most parts must be tuned. I machine a shim for the inside of the TiAL valve to restrict movement of the piston so that I just dump the minimum amount of boost necessary to keep the compressor from surging. If you over dump you will have a lag when off and on the throttle..

There is a very good Bosch valve that comes on every turbo charged Porsche or Audi, or VW. they are small enough that you dont really need to mod them, and they are very reliable. You can try those too.. They are not rebuildable and offer no "bling Factor" just black plastic..
    Riva used those cheap Bosch valves on the 1st Gen IC with plastic pipes, and almost every single one of them leaked.
    The TiAL one on you'r ski is topnoch and if I had a turbo that would be the valve on my ski , I use the HKS on the supercharged ski's.

I love mine over 30 hrs on it, no problems, no leaks. S/C still holding its slip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paolas birthday 061.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	172020  

Soooo, conflicting opinions then?

Seems like most who recommend the BOV (here and in other threads) run pretty high boost in their setups.

I doubt I will be getting more than 9-10 psi on my x-charger since I am not upgrading the ECU and I won't be getting much, if at all, past 8,000 rpms. Given that the x-charger, 42lb injectors and 4" intake will be my only performance mods (for now anyway)...does that alter anyone's recommendation?

I am hoping to avoid over modding on items that I may not need for my setup. Also, I have ZERO IDEA how to tune a blow-off valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-C180 View Post
    Soooo, conflicting opinions then?

Seems like most who recommend the BOV (here and in other threads) run pretty high boost in their setups.

I doubt I will be getting more than 9-10 psi on my x-charger since I am not upgrading the ECU and I won't be getting much, if at all, past 8,000 rpms. Given that the x-charger, 42lb injectors and 4" intake will be my only performance mods (for now anyway)...does that alter anyone's recommendation?

I am hoping to avoid over modding on items that I may not need for my setup. Also, I have ZERO IDEA how to tune a blow-off valve.
    Think of it as having a little insurance on the S/C as it will prolong the life of it as wear and tear goes. BTW I have done no tuning on my BOV just install and ride.
    I do make sure it gets its fair share of xp lube around the piston area so as not to
    stick to its body. This was recommended by Malvin at Turbo Tech. As for conflicting opinions goes some guys use them without any problems and some find out that they leak, specially the Riva ones, i dont think i have read of any other brands leaking. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information