Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

FZS TRANSOM. Way out of alignment!

Hi.
    I am about to install the new TBM intake grate and intercooler upgrade and noticed that my transom was way out of alignment. (see pic below).I know this has been an issue with the early model FZ's which mine is. Should I worry about this?. I would do it may self but after having a flick through the service manual I know I will get to a stage where I will not have the right tool for the job. I will ring my local yamaha dealer and talk to them but I thought I would see what you guys think as well. Thanks

[/IMG]

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2540 View Post
    Hi.
    I am about to install the new TBM intake grate and intercooler upgrade and noticed that my transom was way out of alignment. (see pic below).I know this has been an issue with the early model FZ's which mine is. Should I worry about this?. I would do it may self but after having a flick through the service manual I know I will get to a stage where I will not have the right tool for the job. I will ring my local yamaha dealer and talk to them but I thought I would see what you guys think as well. Thanks

[/IMG]
    If you want it done right, you're gonna havta do it yourself. I brought my ski back to my local dealer for this same issue...needless to say, when we pulled the pump the other week, the damn thing was still misaligned, and sealed back up with something that was a b**** and a half to break loose...we had use a truck and a chain to break the bond.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dawg222 View Post
    If you want it done right, you're gonna havta do it yourself. I brought my ski back to my local dealer for this same issue...needless to say, when we pulled the pump the other week, the damn thing was still misaligned, and sealed back up with something that was a b**** and a half to break loose...we had use a truck and a chain to break the bond.

This is an area of huge improvement for speed gains. They are almost all a little off yours just appears to be more then most.

+1
    A truck and chain...wow.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    A truck and chain...wow.
    Yep...had the ski on the trailer, with it hooked up to my truck, and a chain wrapped around the transom plate and impeller housing, hooked up to my buddy Ryan's (GPryan) truck. We broke the bond, from the bottom half, using his truck, and worked it the rest of the way by hand and using a pry bar...yeah it was on there pretty good!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    This is an area of huge improvement for speed gains. They are almost all a little off yours just appears to be more then most.
    Yea, Jerry figures atleast about a 2 mph gain between having a low tank of fuel and a properly aligned transom plate. I also didn't have a PET tach at the time, so I'm sure the rpm are off by a lil...Jerry did add some pitch to get it off the limiter before we tried the VX plate...we were short on time that day.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    This is an area of huge improvement for speed gains.

Yea, Jerry figures at least about a 2 mph gain between having a low tank of fuel and a properly aligned transom plate. I also didn't have a PET tach at the time, so I'm sure the rpm are off by a lil...Jerry did add some pitch to get it off the limiter before we tried the VX plate...we were short on time that day.
    Good stuff guys....this is an area I'm looking to address on my SHO during the build....I'm gonna try to post pics.......

+1
    C Dawg222, after reading the service manual it tells you how to pull every little piece apart. Did you pull everything including the drive shaft. Bear with me guys trying to learn here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2540 View Post
    Hi.

[/IMG]
    Dang, that is some shotty install.
    Must have been on a monday.

+1
    Come on Skoepp, your not helping.lol
    Anyone one with same mechical advise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information