Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Master Cranksgaft Plan

ok whose got 750 cranks junk laying around? i have a idea. ill have to check pricing on everything first so this is just the begining. maybe we can all buy extras bearing off each other or gifts or not using or buy in lots on ebay or wherever from whomever, and i have a friend who may do all of them at once if we get enough. like 30 donor cranks and make a few good ones for members cheap.

somes guy went domestic and have lots of whatever just rotting with good rods n stuff on them. whose got what?

+1
    I have a few I could donate to the cause.

+1
    I have 2. when we get to 20, were getting some where.lol

cool that 15 rods we have already/ i have like 7 of the bearings on both are great.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How is the money aspect going to work?

+1
    not all the bugs out yet. any ideas? jus kicking the idea around, maybe whomever needs a good crank, can pay the shipping from a donor person. something like that or other ideas...

I guess everyones gonna have to give n take a little depending..I need 1 good crank myself. this doesnt have to happen in like 2 weeks, Maybe a few months from now, just kinda taking a poll and see what out there for interest and parts. We would only do this for members.

Like I said, I'm willing to give up 2 for a good 1 good one. so theres some extra parts right there for someone else for free.

Ive seen package deals on bearings for like 5.95 /piece when ya buy a bunch. Thats cheap!

We need someone to keep track of what bearing sizing is needed and whats the best deal so far thats found.. Like a running tally getting it as low as we can before the purchase.

I've got 3 fuji cranks all with good rods but noisy bearings.

+1
    Great! This is for 650 750 780 crank. there all the same right? Wheres Jkindt when ya need him? lol

He's the bearing finder. I'll talk to my machinist buddy and see his setup.

assuming all 8 cranks so far have rods, thats 24. should be able to get 3 good sets from that bunch.

Who needs a crank?

I guess just state how many u have, how many u need. That way we know who needs what and how many. If you need 1 and have none to donate, you could donate $$ to bearings instead and shipping from a donor. If your just donating, maybe a person needing a crank could send a needed part to that person for compensation for giving to the cause. Or just give them for the cause or sell ultra cheap.lol 5.00 holla! lol

After the crank is done, your shipping to your house is your baby. Plus whatever cost to do it. hopefully super cheap. More details as info comes into the office. lol

+1
    PSP,
    I agree with the heart of your message, but please tone it down.

We keep our tools in the garage section and we let our Aussies run free.

+1

Crankshafts 101

Crankshafts 101

WOW now that’s a whole new level of CHEAP

I have been reading for what the last 6 months about this subject

First off what kind of bearing do you think your going to get for 5.95 ?????? That’s a Jock.

Any good Bearings like Koyo, SKF, Fag, Nachi Ext is going to be good $$ not 5.95 I don’t care if you buy 1 or 1000 there going to cost you.

Lets not talk Rods Pro-X, IMS, WSM, Hot Rods EXT there going to start at 79.90 and up per rod even if you find someone that sells the WSM rods at 20% off your looking at 65.00 each.

Second;
    The Rods, rod bearings, pins and shims there used and have wear on them.

Third:
    DO you have at least a 20 ton Press, an indexing gig to index the crank at 120 degree’s, then you need at least 2 brass or copper hammers 1 lbs and 3 lbs, Clamps, wedges and some sort of truing stand with 2 types of ways to check and true the crank and that’s just to put the crank together.

Forth:
    Now lets talk about dis-assembling the crank without damaging the Rods and that never happens you need to have the tools to get the ends off and to split the 2 center sections apart these are not available each rebuild has made there own tools. To get the ends off I use a Big ass abrasive saw and cut throw the rods and pins AFTER ALL we are rebuilding the crank and doing it the right way replacing the Rods, bearings Ext then I have custom tools to separate the 2 center sections press the old pins out then glass bead, all the sections or WEBS. And that’s just to get started before you try to assemble the crank.

Fifth:
    So lets say you do manage to somewhat get a crank together and true if you have the index off even 2-3 degrees you have Big Problems the ignition works of the front cylinder so if you have it set up few degrees off you have an ignition or timing problem now and you don’t even know it till you start blowing holes there pistons now you have to pull the engine split the cases and remove the crank and that’s if you smart enough to find the problem. Or you will be on the Hulk asking questions why you keep putting holes in Pistons and your summer is GONE.

You do know the crank is the heart of your engine if you stat with junk you have Junk so when you spend the rest of the winter messing around trying to build a crank as CHEAP as you can then after all that cheapness and you put a rod throw the cases and up into your cylinders this summer
    I will be thinking of you all when I’m on the river riding my Matrix or one of my other Ski’s knowing that I have the best crank that I can buy or build.

You get what you pay for in life I work very hard and when it comes to my time off I’m not going to be the guy floating down river in a inner tube because I was cheap.

Even if you buy the cheapest crank out there at 245.00 that has the cheapest china made Rods and bearing your better off but not much. Even at 245.00 what do you think your getting at that price?Good Luck with that crank that is rebuilt in Florida.

If it was easy everyone would do it!!!!! AND ITS NOT!!!

I have used www.ShortBlocksRus.com for Years on customer stuff and again they do a Great job and the guy has Free Return Shipping and I herd he has a discount for clubs if you ask.

Look at the work that they Do and there Tig welded.

Good luck with your project

Jeff at midwest rebuilt my 785 crank, when it was completed I asked how much it was going to cost me to have my 750 cranks rebuilt and he quoted me "around" $250 ea. I'm sure we can get a great deal If we have a bunch to send his way once snowmobile season is over. I am having two 750 cranks done this spring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information