Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Engine white smoke?

I finished the install of a new rebuilt 215 SC engine from BRP for my 2005 RXP. I have not been able to water test it yet, but have started it about 6 times for 20 secs over the last couple of weeks. I ran it a 3 minutes when I had it hooked up to the hose twice. I noticed after it starts and is running for about 5 seconds it starts to have some white smoke? Could this be normal for a new engine? I was thinking it was just contaminants burning of the engine from the rebuild? Any ideas? Thanks

Sounds normal for a rebuilt engine. Don't be surprized if you burn a half quart of oil during the first tank of fuel. Oil consumption should slow as the engine breaks in.

Banned User
    +1
    sounds like you need to back it down the ramp, let it run in the water for 5 or 10 minutes, let everything settle in. id say if it continues to smoke for much more then 10 or so minutes thats more then just "new engine burn off". i know when i built car motors we used a bunch of lube on the rings and cylinders when we were putting them together and they smoked a bit during start up. that should go away though!

That's what I was thinking also. I should be able to get it on the lake this week when the lift the 5 mph speed restriction. I just wanted to make sure this sounded normal before I took it to the lake, because it seems to run great.

Banned User
    +1
    folsom?

Yah, not positive they are going to lift the speed limit but I hope they do.

+1
    Stop cranking your ski for only a few seconds or minutes. This is absolutely the very worst thing you can do for a new engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Stop cranking your ski for only a few seconds or minutes. This is absolutely the very worst thing you can do for a new engine.
    Will you elaborate, please? Getting it warm/cold/warm/cold ???

Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Will you elaborate, please? Getting it warm/cold/warm/cold ???
    I think what he is trying to say is that you need to put a load on the engine. Applying a load to a new engine will help seat the rings evenly all the way around, plus you need to get it on the water and vary your RPMs. Basically take it out to the water and for the first few minutes take it easy on the motor while its warming up. After its fully warmed up open her up and see what it will do. Break it in the way you intend to ride it.......... hard!!

That makes sense but I do not know about the "break it in like the way you intend to ride it, hard"? What about the 10 break in recommend by Seadoo?

Quote Originally Posted by use2vtec View Post
    I think what he is trying to say is that you need to put a load on the engine. Applying a load to a new engine will help seat the rings evenly all the way around, plus you need to get it on the water and vary your RPMs. Basically take it out to the water and for the first few minutes take it easy on the motor while its warming up. After its fully warmed up open her up and see what it will do. Break it in the way you intend to ride it.......... hard!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information