Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Rough water riding.

Whats the roughest you all have ever been thru on a jet ski? storms? Hurricaines? Tornado? Sudden gust of wind? Huge waves? 10 footers? Black storm coming and being caught in it?

My worst has been Lake saint clair in 4-5 footers everywhere and coming form every direction. No rain though. just 30 knot winds. lake looked like a chocolate milkshake. Pretty nerving for a few miles. Hard landings, ouch, thrown to side by side with big waves too.

To me, riding in the chop sux- SLT aint well suited to it and neither is the GPR. Not that I havent done my share. We were just at Key Largo Jan 30/31 and it was pretty rough Atlantic side. Beats the sh*t out of the ski. Some guys like it though........

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ...4-5 footers everywhere and coming from every direction. No rain though. just 30 knot winds.

...Pretty unnerving for a few miles. Hard landings, ouch, thrown to side by side with big waves too.
    We have ridden in similar water states, but it was raining some too. Rain stings when you are at speed.

+1
    I got caught in a storm in my bass boat fishing a tournament, bilge pump stayed on the whole time. I hope I never experience it again.

+1
    My buddy and I got caught out in the rain one time, it hurts at 60+

Come to New Zealand 2 metre swell is a calm day on the coast. But the Matrix loves it rough.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Yummy Stuff I only want, but hard to take pictures on really gnarly days

Always watch you back for rouge waves that will sneak up on ya- SoCalOffShore on the blue 250X me on the #33 red Ultra 250x

Casper coming back into port during practice before the '08 LB2Cat race, it was wild out to sea that day - I would later pull of the stock 4 deg wedge for a 2 deg that Danno sent out to me to keep the nose down on this too short and too wide in the nose ski, later I would find out the 1deg with all my rescue gear in the front bucket would have been a better idea during the LB2Cat that was worst than this day, oh boy the '03's would be a better ride in a ocean state

This race got call off by the Coast Guard due to the conditions- pushing and dancing my weight over the bars, running stock ride plate with the LX wedge - TBM plate that would come out latter without a wedge...would make the better ride
    Last edited by pirate33; 02-14-2010 at 04:46 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suparoo View Post
    Come to New Zealand 2 metre swell is a calm day on the coast. But the Matrix loves it rough.
    I'm with you on this, a mile out past the headland things get really interesting. If there's one thing I learned its 100% concentration is needed particularly when riding in the troth them waves do seem to intersect in different angles! I lost my helmet, camera and goggles riding into one of those things

yep i went out riding today wollongong (australia) very strong onshore wind and 2meter plus waves makes for some scary times out in the surf

even more so since my ski is a stx 15f really beats the hell out of ya in the ruff from what ive seen so far although its heaps of fun in small chop to flat water and perfect for wave jumping i bought my ski because i liked the way handles around corners but ?

the bigger slower skis like the yamaha 1100 vx with less hp than me can pull away in the chop although after having a big crash last weekend im not so keen on wot in the chop after getting chucked over the handle bars at about 90kph

are any mods that will make it handle the chop a bit better

also im new jetskis

any riding tips when riding in the chop ie should i be standing while riding or sitting down with my feet pushed forward to hold steady

cheers trev

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by trevs View Post
    yep i went out riding today wollongong (australia) very strong onshore wind and 2meter plus waves makes for some scary times out in the surf

even more so since my ski is a stx 15f really beats the hell out of ya in the ruff from what ive seen so far...

are any mods that will make it handle the chop a bit better

also im new jetskis

any riding tips when riding in the chop ie should i be standing while riding or sitting down with my feet pushed forward to hold steady ...
    Have a look at www.pwcoffshore.com
    Watch how the riders position themselves on the ski, and move their feet around. Note the leg flexing.

I spend most of my time standing when riding, and only sit when the water is very smooth and I am feeling lazy.

I am not familiar with the Kawasaki hulls, but you may find some answers in the Kawasaki forums. You may need to search and read back through older posts to find what you are looking for.

The Kawi Ultra hull (Ultra 150 and Ultra 250/260) is currently considered one of the best rough water hulls.

Wave jumping and rough water is hard on both rider and machine. Things can happen fast, and stuff can break. Be sure you are riding with mates who not only have the equipment needed to rescue or tow you, but have the knowledge to do so without endangering themselves or yourself.

It is worthwhile to actually prepare and practice rescue and towing techniques. Doing it for the first time in 6 foot waves is not a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information