Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Fuel pump voltage booster

    Cool stuff from MSD.. An alternative to an RRFPR? Should also stabilize voltage and reduce fuel pump pressure flare from voltage variations.
    Anybody ever used one?
    http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/2351/10002/-1


  2. #2
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    I use that same one on my car and it works great, but I wouldn't use it on my ski for several reasons. It's not a waterproof device. You still have the stock fuel pressure regulator holding you back. The stock regulator is removed with either of the RRFPR kits. You have to splice into the factory wire harness to connect the MSD unit. MSD unit is still $400+
    The RRFPR kits are plug and play and very easy to adjust.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South MS
    Posts
    1,095
    I know guys that use them on cars. Works great, they only use them for short times while spraying nitrous so the fuel pump can maintain fuel pressure.

    I would think for use on a ski, it might be hard on the fuel pump at the higher voltages for long periods of time.

  4. #4
    SHOBiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I use that same one on my car and it works great, but I wouldn't use it on my ski for several reasons. It's not a waterproof device. You still have the stock fuel pressure regulator holding you back. The stock regulator is removed with either of the RRFPR kits. You have to splice into the factory wire harness to connect the MSD unit. MSD unit is still $400+
    The RRFPR kits are plug and play and very easy to adjust.

    +1

  5. #5
    Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    560
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Cool stuff from MSD.. An alternative to an RRFPR? Should also stabilize voltage and reduce fuel pump pressure flare from voltage variations.
    Anybody ever used one?
    http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/2351/10002/-1
    High HP cars use bigger/better Fuel pumps, bigger Injectors and Regulators for their fuel system. The MSD "boost a pump" is similar to other boost a pump units out there and really are just band aids to a fuel system.

  6. #6
    Stop staring at my tits NJJer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    This house or that house
    Posts
    1,309
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by poof100 View Post
    High HP cars use bigger/better Fuel pumps, bigger Injectors and Regulators for their fuel system. The MSD "boost a pump" is similar to other boost a pump units out there and really are just band aids to a fuel system.
    Yep

    From my experience, these are just as stated above, a band-aid.

    The fuel pump is not designed to run at the higher voltage. When it fails, and it will, it will either crap out all at once, or start to "slow down". If it slows down, well ...... pop goes the weasel cause the weasel goes pop.

    We take these off at work when a customer comes in with tuning or running problems. Then and rising rate regulators are 2 "cheap" ways of doing things.

    But as they say..... To each his own

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fuel pump
    By bobscott in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2017, 04:26 PM
  2. Fuel pump voltage!!! 215-255
    By Dockside in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-17-2009, 08:34 PM
  3. sl650 Fuel pump
    By gerhand44 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 04:49 PM
  4. Fuel pump in gp1300r not working?
    By wildman326 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 08:54 PM
  5. Performance Fuel Pump,is it needed for stage2?
    By novice_4 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •