+1

What are the stock GPR finishes?

I've done searches and read many posts and there seems to be conflicting info...people calling the finish as paint and others as gelcoat. What is the stock finish on the GPR's deck and hull?...if it's different depending on what year...I'm most intersted in the '06 GPR...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    I've done searches and read many posts and there seems to be conflicting info...people calling the finish as paint and others as gelcoat. What is the stock finish on the GPR's deck and hull?...if it's different depending on what year...I'm most intersted in the '06 GPR...thanks!
    It's a one stage paint, meaning it's paint and shine all in one. top and bottom

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    paint

+1
    you can get the oem paint from colorrite.com but its pricey..

+1
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm not a paint guy so with that in mind...being a one stage paint, shouldn't the paint be completely removed down to the primer (I assume there is a primer underneath) before I repaint it?...I'm concerned about the shine part in the one stage with putting paint over it...is it a problem? Is a one stage paint better to use than painting and putting a clear coat over it? I'm going to be trueing the hull, adding Leo's hole shot kit and doing a few other things before I repaint it all. Can you get the paint through a Yamaha dealer?

+1
    The OEM paint can be bought from colorrite.com, but it's $190/qt. Since you're working on an '06 & black is an easy color to match, I would just buy some marine grade urethane paint from a local dealer. FYI, colorrite is also a urethane paint. I've actually done some touch-up work on my '07 with universal gloss black automotive paint from a spray can that I bought at Autozone...you would never know the difference after I buffed it out. I just scuffed up the areas I was touching up with 800 grit wetsanding paper before applying the new coat, then finished it up with clear, wetsanded with 2000 grit paper & shined it up with a 3M polishing pad. I'm not sure what the proper method would be to refinish a larger area. Send a pm to speedskixp. He owns a paintshop & could probably give you some tips on how to do it the right way.

I would'nt recommend regular car paint on the bottom, say for example you were to chip it, with the pressure from the water the clear coat with eventually start to rip off. the shine on a single stage is almost the same as regular car paint, When i painted mine i wanted some pearl on top so i went with the two stage. Remember single stage is alot thicker than regular paint. And a lot more overspray too, if you dont have a booth it'll be a mess. On black you are going to have a lot of orange peal, wet sand for sure. 320 grid and then paint , you dont wanna go to high. you painter should know, just my opinion hope it gives you an idea of what you want.

+1
    I'm definitely going to have someone paint it for me but after talking to a few places, they each have their own idea of what needs to be done...and I have no idea what the right thing is...so everyones input is much appreciated. I am not doing a touch up job...this is going to be a complete restoration after many things have been done. I plan on repainting the bottom black but not sure on the deck yet. I like the shinny new black look but it shows up every scratch and scuff and is a lot of work to keep nice looking. So I may go white or a metalic silver on the deck...alot like the Polaris MSX watercraft. I'm changing out the gold color for the '08 blue. The final look would be similar to the pic below...any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture%20074.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	172399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	172418  

Scott-that is a great look and is pretty much what I'd do if I ever repaint my ski. One of my family members owns a body shop, and another buddy a fiberglass shop. If the hull isn't gel coated and is SMC, they claim its not necessary to strip the paint all the way off. The way I understood it, sand what you need down, rough up the rest, use filler where needed, use a high adhesion primer, a high grade single step urethane paint, wet sand, and buff. I would also elect to have it heat cured. The paint will have to go on thick enough to sand out the inevitable orange peel...especially the black.

Thread Information