Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

X-charger - hole in shaft, tap and set screw, or leave it open?

Seems like 50% tap and plug it with a set screw and red loctite...the other half leave it alone.

Anyone ever installed the set screw and have issues with their SC?

Anyone ever left it alone and had oil in their impeller housing?

+1
    I would run the charger and see if you have any issues with oil coming out the charger and getting into the IC ect ect then you block it off if not then its not worth worrying about I have 2 08 style chargers with the oil hole and niether of them blow enough to worry about. R88

+1
    The hole is for oiling the clutch needle bearings and clutch washers.
    Don't block them.
    Don't worry ,once in a while pull the hose from the charger and check for leaks of the oilseal,but don't block the oiling hole.

+1
    Think he is talking about the oil hole in the housing not the shaft. The oil hole feeds extra oil to the bearing at the impeller side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-C180 View Post
    Seems like 50% tap and plug it with a set screw and red loctite...the other half leave it alone.

Anyone ever installed the set screw and have issues with their SC?

Anyone ever left it alone and had oil in their impeller housing?
    this is an easy one...... i was getting oil all up in my ic i pulled the sc out got a q-tip an some acetone clean that little hole out good with the acetone, then mix up a little jb weld an put it in the hole till its flush with the surface,let dry then install. WORKS GR8 and very easy to do. plus you dont get metal shavings in the bearings when you drill and tap. mine has been like this for15 hrs and no problem. GL

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Had to plug the one in my old ski. Was barfing oil all over the place! Once plugged..... No more oil.

Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Had to plug the one in my old ski. Was barfing oil all over the place! Once plugged..... No more oil.
    +1

+1
    I never plug the holes nor do I suggest it. That hole is there to oil the bearing for a reason. If your charger is puking oil you should take it apart and replace the O-ring, oil seal, and remove the bearing cap from behind the wheel and add sealant to the threads before re-installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    I never plug the holes nor do I suggest it. That hole is there to oil the bearing for a reason. If your charger is puking oil you should take it apart and replace the O-ring, oil seal, and remove the bearing cap from behind the wheel and add sealant to the threads before re-installing it.
    my xsc was just rebuilt jim, my ic was filling with oil, i plugged the hole and it works fine. no more oil

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by busa504 View Post
    my xsc was just rebuilt jim, my ic was filling with oil, i plugged the hole and it works fine. no more oil
    I understand but I'm all about getting plenty of oil to the sc bearings even if it meens a small amount of oil residue getting past the seal. If it is a large amount of oil then its a problem and should be addressed. However filling the hole is not the route I would choose to go. I run nothing but 08 style chargers and have never needed to plug the hole in any of them and have only had one that leaked oil pretty bad and that issue was fixed after replacing the seal as mentioned. A lot of people choose to just fill the hole but I prefer to keep the extra oiler hole and fix the problem. Considering that none of the pre 08 chargers had the hole, I'm sure it works fne but while spinning @ 40,000+ rpms I want it to get all the oil possible. Just my .01.
    BTW. Nice avatar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information