ultra 150 oil cable question

Gday Guys, im wondering if you can help me with a problem.
    I took my 04 ultra out jumping waves today, all was sweet for about 2 hours , and then on the way in at full throttle the engine was surging , almost like it was running out of fuel. This happened for about 35 seconds , and then a noisy sound from the engine, sounds like either bottom or top end , not sure, but didnt sound good.
    When i was towed back to shore, i noticed that the oil cable was broken. I immediatly thought i starved it of oil and screwed the engine, but apparently if this happens its full oil.
    So why does the engine sound like this. The ski has solas prop, and i put in new pistons and rings 15 hours ago, not cos it needed it , but the engine was out, and ithought id change them. It done 150 hours at that stage.
    Any help would be appreciated, cheers

I just did a comp test and number 2 is 75 psi , compared to 120 for 1 and 3, I did notice that all the porcelain on all the plugs look pretty flakey.

+1
    Bummer! Sounds like you need to do a top overhaul.

When you change the cable, make sure you carefully inspect the new one. I changed mine and the brand new cable had some broken strands. Caught it before I installed it and I returned it for a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty6 View Post
    I just did a comp test and number 2 is 75 psi , compared to 120 for 1 and 3, I did notice that all the porcelain on all the plugs look pretty flakey.
    The 150 is notorius for the seized mid hole for no apparent reason, more so than other 3-cyl engines. I know it is running hotter than the other two hole and/or cooling is super-critical on that hole. Don't just do the overhaul what's broken and run the ski. You need to find out why it seized first, like restricted cooling water passage, head gasket leak, lack of lube, whatever. If the cause of the problem is not found/fixed, the mid hole would seize again.

Thread Information