Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cylinder liner

cylinder liner

polaris liner cracked around top edge, views on put new liner in

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What model or engine are you asking about?

How about a pic? I never heard of the cylinder liner cracking near the head.

Normally it's cheaper to buy a replacement (used) cylinder instead of relining one.

The process consists of buying a liner for nearly the same cost, if not more than a used cylinder.

The old cylinder liner needs to be bored out to accept the new one.

And then the new one need to be accurately pressed in place.

Depending on the cyls, (if they were ported or not) some port work may need to be done.

hi xlint89. its a 1999 genesis,the story is, had piston melt on pto, knocked crank index out. had cylinder bored out to 0.25mm all looked fine, rebuilt. new head o rings ect. when trying to start would not fire on pto, comp ok. complete strip down. found crank index out, sent crank for rebuild. in garage looking at the cylinders, noticed 3 cracks, 3/8 from top of cylinder. above ex port, splits in to bore and o ring groove, which the groove is distorted. looked at piston, has hit bigest spilt and dented piston above top ring. this cylinder and piston had not even fired up.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You really have been having your troubles with that engine, haven't you?

The cylinder was bored .25mm over, yet there was damage/cracks to the cylinder liner that nobody noticed?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1

Thanks xlint89, set alarm clock 5.30am to bid for cylinder. piped by 1 usd. felt sick all day thanks again

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by justfun View Post
    Thanks xlint89, set alarm clock 5.30am to bid for cylinder...
    Don't wait around for eBay auctions to end!

Use BiddingScheduler.com

Set your absolute maximum price in BiddingScheduler. Right before the auction ends, you bid is automatically submitted.

You will pay only enough to outbid the next highest bidder, regardless of how long ago they submitted, or increased, their bid.

If someone else has a higher max bid than you, then they win the auction.

Otherwise, you win the auction, and you will only have paid enough to outbid their highest price, NOT your maximum bid (unless that was needed to just squeak by them).

The great part is you don't have to be watching eBay - you don't even need your computer to be running

AND, since your bid isn't even submitted to eBay until that last few seconds, the other bidders don't see you coming

It is called bid sniping, and many of the successful bidders on eBay use this technique.

Thanks for that info

This may be more than you're looking for, but I have a 2000 virage tx with a brand new top end with reconditioned cylinders (cylinder exchange) I've decided to part out.
    The story is, ski quit running and I took it to a local shop, he found cylinders 1&3 slightly melted. I had him install the complete upper end, go through the carbs, and put the oil pump removal kit on so I could just run pre-mix. The ski would then start but didn't want to stay running. Then I took it to a reputable shop in Pittsburgh to find out what was going on. They rebuilt/re-tuned the carbs before finding the real problem was play in the crank causing the flywheel to contact the stator (or housing, cant quite remember, was in the fall).
    Anyhow, it cant have more than a couple hours run time on the new upper end, If I remember correctly its all standard bore (I can check receipts from purchase) It has maybe an hour at the dock and another hour easy riding which it would just shut off when the stator grounded out.
    I'd like to sell the upper end all together, I can disassemble and take pics (receipt from this fall also avail) if you're interested.

hi buddy that good of you, for the offer. the cost of shipping and import tax this end in britain would be a killer, 1 part can be bad enough. many thanks again buddy
    a guy on here is sorting me out

should be worth parting and put in classified. soon get some cash back

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information