Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 150 Water in oil and oil in the intake??

Hello I bought a 2004 MSX 150 and was told the oil had been over filled. The ski only has 17hrs on it. So I cleaned the intercooler and all the hoses. I also removed the hose from the oil tank that goes to the intake. So the oil in the intake would not happen again. I drained the oil and replaced it "Making sure not to over fill". I ran the ski around in the water for about 20min. The motor is still in safe mode but I just wanted to run it some. It smoked real bad I think it is from all the oil from before in the exhaust. HERE IS THE MAIN QUESTIONS!!!! So i checked the oil tank and water is in oil again and oil is in the intake hose again not sure if got in the intercooler again but I am guessing some oil got in there. Could this be a turbo leaking? Could this be the oil tank baffle? Any help from you guys would be great. I have looked over every page in the fourm and i cannot find the answer I need. THANKS FOR THE HELP. Brad C

+1
    Gday Brad
    With the oil problem the two possible causes i can think of is one the turbo is crook and oil is passing into the inlet (uncommon) or two there was some left over oil pooled in the compressor housing. Did you start it up with the turbo outlet hose off? this will blow left over oil out (ask me how I know) If you have the breather hose disconnected from the air box there is no other way oil can get into the intake stream. When you say water in the oil, visible droplets or milky oil? you may have to do another oil change to clear it up.Is the coolant level dropping? Was the craft rolled?
    Last edited by Kosh; 02-15-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: missing words

The coolant level is not droping. I will take the hose off the turbo and run it to see if I can blow it out. There was water droplets and milky white Oil in the tank also. The milky stuff was on the top and the droplets would get on my oil stick when I would check the oil. I do not know if it was rolled or not the only thing that the guy told was it was running great until he had a buddy of his change the oil. And he over filled it that is when it messed up. What if the guy that was doing his oil change hooked the water hose up on the ski before he cranked it would that blow a O-ring in the oil tank or something? My spark plugs are fine no water in the cylinders just in the tank.
    If the turbo was cooked it would be hard to turn right? My turbo
    turns super easy.
    Last edited by brad3384; 02-15-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Add a question

+1
    You have two problems and they need to be delt with seperately, hopefully the oil problem is just what was left over and you clear that up, thats what your description points to. Assuming the water was not introduced into the motor from the oil seperator breather hole (Too Much water in the hull) or mis directed use of the hose at the seperator,The first place to suspect is the O rings on the oil reserviour. You can test this by removing the tank and fitting up a pressure guage. I use a bike pump and test it to around 40 psi. It takes a bit of mucking around and few different size plugs and hoses to check both the oil and water circuits. If it leaks you can fit new O rings or purchase a new improved tank from Watcon that is all plasic and has a nice oil catch /breather set up on it. Better than original but you can still get away with the old one.

Cheers

Hey Kosh thanks for all the good info. On the turbo how do I test it to make sure it's not leaking oil? Is there a way to do that? And thanks again!!

+1
    Turbos can leak oil into the exhaust or inlet, this can be caused by a blocked return to sump line (would not be the cause in your case) or mechanical damage / wear. As yours is only 17 hours old I doubt this would be the case unless it has sat around for years with salt contaminating the compressor wheel assembly. If the compressor wheel looks OK (you will need a mirrior and torch to look at it) and spins freely with out contacting the housing it should be allright. It is normal for it to have some clearance to allow it to move up and down /left to right. The way to check a compressor for oil leak is to hold a peice of paper an inch or so from the compressor outlet and start the engine you should not have any oil spots appear on the paper. I am asumming the compressor has been cleared of oil from the overfill. If you are leaking oil into the exhaust it wont affect the running it will just be really smokey out the exhaust.
    I hope this helps.

Kosh, Man thanks alot I am going to start on this tonight and maybe I will have some answers by the weekend. I will post back on what I find.
    THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Ok Kosh I took the oil tank out and It rattles. I am guessing from what I have read that the baffle is loose? Right? Or does the tank suppose to rattle? Can I
    fix the tank or do I have to buy a new one? Is that what was causing the water to mix with the oil? Sorry to Keep bugging the Sh*t out of you.
    Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brad3384 View Post
    Ok Kosh I took the oil tank out and It rattles. I am guessing from what I have read that the baffle is loose? Right? ...

Can I fix the tank or do I have to buy a new one?

Is that what was causing the water to mix with the oil? ...
    Search for loose baffle - there are threads discussing how to fix it, and what replacement/upgrade options are available.

Oil Tank Repair

Thanks I just got done reading about that. I think I am going to spend the 270.00 on a new tank kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information