Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sbt 951 counter balance shaft

Has anyone ever use one are they any good I'm just worried since I hear other parts of there's aren't the best of quality.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I dont think you will have any problems with it. There is not much going on with it, as long as you keep that cavity filled with lube oil you're good to go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 951ccshoe04 View Post
    Has anyone ever use one are they any good I'm just worried since I hear other parts of there's aren't the best of quality.
    Depends on your max revs really if its a stocker under 6900 should be ok but get these puppies spinning over 7000 consistently and you will surely have problems and when they let go they destroy cases as well.I use oem for all bearings in 951s

+1
    The end bearings are sealed so their quality is very important. I, as do many others, question the quality of SBT's parts.

I have an SBT CB shaft that I chose not to risk running when I last rebuilt my engine. Both end bearings on that shaft had grease oozing out of them and the shaft had less than 20 hours on it.

As Surf said, OE is the ONLY way to go.

I think there is a lot of bad press given to SBT about quality, some true, some not... This applies to everything coming from China these days. Some stuff is excellent quality, some is garbage. How do you tell the difference?

That said, while I have used some SBT parts on some engines (717, 787), I don't feel comfortable using them on 947 engines. The OE parts on these engines fail all the time, and they are supposed to be the "best quality". I think it is risky using anything that could be of lesser quality on these engines....

In fact, if there was a source of parts that could be demonstrated to be of superior quality over OEM, I probably would pay a premium for them.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    I think there is a lot of bad press given to SBT about quality, some true, some not... This applies to everything coming from China these days. Some stuff is excellent quality, some is garbage. How do you tell the difference?

That said, while I have used some SBT parts on some engines (717, 787), I don't feel comfortable using them on 947 engines. The OE parts on these engines fail all the time, and they are supposed to be the "best quality". I think it is risky using anything that could be of lesser quality on these engines....

In fact, if there was a source of parts that could be demonstrated to be of superior quality over OEM, I probably would pay a premium for them.
    +1

I have a SBT crank and c/b in my 96...and has been bulletproof. Their stuff hasn't been as reliable with the 951 platform.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post

The man speaks true.

+1
    SBT & Quality don't go together. I've been to their plant, toured it with the owner (Greg, at that time he was). Disgusting ,dirty conditions and untrained people pulling used miss-matched parts out of bins and slapping them together with black sealer, oozing out of every crevice.... The crank guy was building them at a fevered pace too. Why do you think their prices are so low, because of their inferior parts. I contribute RQ's SBT parts lasting long due to his ability to tune correctly and to inspect very closely what goes inside his engines!

TLR

I've been to a lot of reman facilities, and I haven't seen one yet that wasn't dirty and disgusting. I am often surprised on how they are able to clean up some of the "input" to the process, stuff I would have thrown away.

You can always go this route. I put one in my 1020 BB. $75.00 more then sbt but well worth it IMO

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/seadooba...421000582.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information