Detroit Boat Show

We went to the Boat Show in Detroit at Cobo today. It has been getting smaller and smaller every year. Their use to be stuff to do and mini accessories/apparel shops set up. This year there was only a few vendors and the bigger dealers from the area there. I think there were only two dealers with a few Seadoos, one with every Yamaha on display, and one with 3 Hondas they were practically giving away. Checked out a 09 or 10 GTX 155 with the S3 hull. The only new Seadoo anyone had. Looks mean, but I do not like the way the dash is. To much square plastic. The two rectangle mats in the back are actually compartments with the battery and some electronics. Looks hard to work on. The iBrake adds a lot of stuff to the pump area. You can tell there is a lot of technology on them when you look at all the buttons and levers on the bars. Thumb/finger levers on both sides, adjustable steering column, mode button, arrow buttons etc. My GTI has start/stop and a throttle . I wouldn't like one for myself because it seems too hard to work on or add go fast parts too. I would think about one if I ever replace our GTI, when I explained to my girlfriend what all the buttons were she thought it was awesome. ("bought time they came with a brake"). The Seadoo trailer is really nice though. Looks sharp. Torsion axles stock and tires that sit a lot wider than the ski making it seem real stable. The basic trailer without the walkaround, iCatch and bunk rollers was really nice too, and retails for $799 I think. They aren't like your typical single place, they are basically two round tubes for a frame. If I ever needed a single place, I would be all over one. I saw a CanAm XT 500, those are niiiiice.

My daughter loved the Yammis, she climbed over all of them . They seem to be very well made. Same thing as the Seadoos though, I don't like all the plastic going on around the dash. I give that dealer credit though, they had every PWC model Yamaha makes there. They had them on the floor where people could sit on them and look them over. His booth area was packed all day.

Gotta give credit to the girlfriend for letting us go to a boat show on Valentine's Day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00124-20100214-1500.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	644.5 KB 
ID:	172818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00129-20100214-1523.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	488.8 KB 
ID:	172819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00130-20100214-1524.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	588.5 KB 
ID:	172820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00131-20100214-1525.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	494.8 KB 
ID:	172821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00132-20100214-1526.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	172822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00133-20100214-1527.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	580.7 KB 
ID:	172823  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00134-20100214-1527.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	570.4 KB 
ID:	172824  

+1
    what happen to the kiss (kept it simple stupid ) sometimes more is less

Quote Originally Posted by idoodou View Post
    what happen to the kiss (kept it simple stupid ) sometimes more is less
    Maybe not everybody made it to the boat show. I enjoyed reading about what he saw. This is a public forum and if he wanted to write a novel, thats fine. Nobody made you sit there and read it against your will. Maybe you should think before you type.

+1
    sorry if i affended anybody my intent was to point out how the pwc industry has gone from simple to over engineered to the point where even the average dealer has a hard time keeping up with the changes again sorry if i affended anyone he had a great post about boat show it was not directed towards his post in no way

Thanks DS, but I believe what he says about referring to the skis and the technology.

They are complicated, but I can defintely see owning one as the second ski for the wifey. I am anxious to see what they bring out when they revamp the RXP, if it will have all the extra stuff on it.

There was a guy their talking to the dealer about buying the new GTX that is in the pictures or a left over pre-S3 hull RXT they had on display. I listened to the salesman for a second and just wanted to stop him from giving the poor customer bad info. He didn't even know the supercharger was what gave the RXT the extra horse when the customer asked, and told him the GTX would work great for pulling a skier and he would never notice the power difference. Poor guy. I need to change careers.

I am glad I went to support it so they keep bringing it back, even if it wasn't as great as it used to be this year. I go every year, but if they moved it to far away I wouldn't go.

+1
    antoniodef thanks for understanding do not get me wrong i like the new features and safety they are coming up with on new seadoo models what i do not like is the lack of ability that most dealers have to work on them they should build their sales around their service department anybody can sell them but the one who kepts it running for years to come the right way is the one who makes the money and gets more future sales

+1
    I felt the same way about all the plastic on the new doo's. made them seem really cheap and when messing with that dirrent storage compartments i felt like the latches were going to break. pluse the people working the yamaha and seadoo booth at the toronto boat show knew nothing, girl at the yamaha booth was trying to tell me that the FZR was 280+hp and did over 75mph, looked her in the eye and told her i strongly disagree

+1
    it is amazing what salesman will say or do to make a sale and the lack of knowage they have ,they need better trained service dept. and build sale around that

I went to the Cleveland Boat Show in January. It used to be advertised as the "Largest Indoor Boat Show in the US." Not any more. It used to fill the IX Center (1-M sq. ft.), but it was maybe 2/3 full. I went to see the cruisers, and the largest was a 35' Tiara. What surprised me was the Sea Ray dealer even brought some used 8-10 year old 33' Sundancers. This was unheard of in past boat shows. There were two Sea Doo dealers there, PowerSports of Cleve and J&J. J&J only had 2009s. I asked the guy where the 2010s were and he said "this is them." I asked why they're not 260 hp like the other dealers skis and he just looked away. At least I got to see Twiggy the squirrel getting towed on skis behind a 1/8 scale ski boat. That was the high point of the show... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    I went to the Cleveland Boat Show in January. It used to be advertised as the "Largest Indoor Boat Show in the US." Not any more. It used to fill the IX Center (1-M sq. ft.), but it was maybe 2/3 full. I went to see the cruisers, and the largest was a 35' Tiara. What surprised me was the Sea Ray dealer even brought some used 8-10 year old 33' Sundancers. This was unheard of in past boat shows. There were two Sea Doo dealers there, PowerSports of Cleve and J&J. J&J only had 2009s. I asked the guy where the 2010s were and he said "this is them." I asked why they're not 260 hp like the other dealers skis and he just looked away. At least I got to see Twiggy the squirrel getting towed on skis behind a 1/8 scale ski boat. That was the high point of the show... Ron

I didn't even go to the Cleveland Boat Show this year. I went in 09, and was pissed that I was able to walk through the entire show in about an hour. The IX center is really going down hill fast! Thank god for this forum!

Thread Information