Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Seadoo Rx Major Proble With Prop

Hey guys first time on my 2001 seadoo rx today and when i gave it full throttle it hardly went anywhere all i could hear is the motor reving i was lucky to do 15mph. So i took it home to inspect and found alot of rubber around the prop which to me looks like a sleeve in the prop housing which the pro was hitting and left chunks of the sleeve hanging. I need to no how do i undo the prop and also can i get the sleeve resleved it. Thanks guys. I didnt notice this nosie before i took it in the water and just thought it was a vibration from the trailer which obviously wasnt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	173071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	173072  

+1
    That would be the old de-laminated Wear Ring.

Under normal circumstances you can change out the WR on a 155mm 947 pump (your pump) without removing the prop. You may still be able to unless said prop has chewed into, and is wrapped up some of the WR.

That pump uses four (4) set screws to keep it from spinning. When they are new the WRs are nice and tight but when they get old and a little worn they fit rather loose (thus the screws). If you slide the Bailer Tube Extension off the top of the pump you will see two screw heads. There will be two more 180* around on the bottom.

Remove one screw and size up a drill bit to it (you want a bit the same size as the shaft of the screwl, NOT the threads themselves). Then put the bit down into the hole and use some Wite Out to mark the depth of the hole.

Now you can remove the other three and see if it will come out.

If not, you will have to get the prop out of there. For that you will need a prop tool (a splined socket that looks like the end of the drive shaft) and a bench vise. You remove the cone and there is are flat sides on the back of the prop shaft that you can lock into the vise so you can use the prop tool to unscrew the prop. For obvious reasons, try to get it out with the prop still in there.

Though, if this boat is new to you, I suggest you change the pump oil since you have the pump off anyway (the oil is in that cone).

A new WR does not have any holes in it (thus the deal with the drill bit). To install, put the new ring in a freezer and leave the pump out in the sun for about 30 minutes. After this the ring will just slip into the pump. Keep the ring pushed all the way in and get your bit and drill drill down through the holes in the pump using the mark you made as a guide(be conservative, since you DO NOT want to drill through the ring). By the time the holes are drilled the ring should have warmed up enough to fit tight. Install the screws and spin the prop. If it is locked up or catching you will need to drill one or more of your holes a little bit deeper (the screws will push the ring out into the prop sometimes). If this is needed be very carefull and remmeber that less is indeed more.

Once the prop will spin free take the screws back out and put Loctite Blue on them and reinstall. Put the Bailer Tube Extension back on and you are done.

+1
    hey kruch thanks for you help mate you came to the rescure once again. Mate that Wear ring is completle stuffed the prop chewed the crap out of of the wear ring.

Also is that why my jet ski was not going fast just engine reved with very little speed ??

Also how much would a rebuild kit cost for it ??

I appreciate you help

Thanks Krunch

+1
    That pump isnt the stock 2001 pump as it would of been all plastic as well.
    When you install make sure it seals properly with the neoprene seal and if your using this pump again make sure there is no shims against the shoe studs as they wont allow the pump to seal properly.

+1
    hey surf so it is not the the stock jet pump and what do you mean by neoprene seal and do i put it around the pump.

Would this of been the problem why my jet ski wasnt going good motor sounds good just rev and only going about 25-30 kms

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gtile04 View Post
    hey surf so it is not the the stock jet pump and what do you mean by neoprene seal and do i put it around the pump.

Would this of been the problem why my jet ski wasnt going good motor sounds good just rev and only going about 25-30 kms
    Yes the pump you have is from a 1998 model ski which work ok but seal slightly different from the stock one originally in your boat.
    If it wasnt sealed correctly your pump will suck air and the prop will cavitate and which then cant produce enough thrust.
    To install this pump correctly get a neoprene seal and check to see the 4 shims are not present between the pump and the pump shoe located on the 4 studs.
    This neoprene seal does away with having to seal the pump all the time with sikaflex etc.

Name:	5868C8.gif 
Views:	136 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	173084  

+1

Arrow

Hey surf thanks again mate i noticed that seal you pointed out to me in the picture my one on my ski had a tear in it also could that have been a problem??

It seemed to have sit nice where it went

+1
    Hey surf thanks again mate i noticed that seal you pointed out to me in the picture my one on my ski had a tear in it also could that have been a problem??

It seemed to have sit nice where it went
    Yes the neoprene seal has to be perfect so as to stop any air from entering the pump cavity before the prop.If it was torn or ripped it will suck air for sure!!

As krunch said if the wear ring is delaminated you will need a new OEM one.

+1
    surf mate i cant thank you enough i really appreciate your help. Now for that seal do i buy one for the 2001 jet pump or a 98 So i can go to seadoo tomorrow and order one plus the wr cheers

+1
    surf mate i cant thank you enough i really appreciate your help. Now for that seal do i buy one for the 2001 jet pump or a 98 So i can go to seadoo tomorrow and order one plus the wr cheers
    You get a neoprene seal to suit your model ski which then can be used on that pump which you have.

The only difference you have to do is remove the shims as per the picture that sit between the pump mounting wings and the pump shoe stud mating surface.
    These shims where only used on the brass insert pumps but had to be sealed with sikaflex against the shoe.
    So now you can use this pump with the seal but no shims , hope that explains it.

Name:	PHOTO977.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	173085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO978.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	173086  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information