Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Info on STX-15F

Info on STX-15F

Hi folks

For the past few weeks, I've been demoing a few different skis to upgrade from my GP1200. Until today, I'd been concentrating on Seadoo and Yamaha 160 odd HP naturally aspirated models, and hadn't even considered the STX-15F. Not cause there seemed anything wrong with it, but because (in my previously biased way), it looked like it came out of someones nose Pathetic really, but honest , particularly since I had once owned a KDX250 trail bike, and didn't mind the colour then. Oh, that and it wasn't as yuppie/sexy as the Seadoo

Gods, more pathetic

Anyways, I was talked into riding one today by a dealer who sells both Seadoo and Kawasaki, when going to take a GTX for a ride. Took the Kawasaki instead. I was blown away by it. Incredible!
    Apart from the fact it didn't weigh half a ton, it had the manouverability and performance I wanted, in replacing the nible GP1200.

So tonight, I've been searching all reviews I can find for info on the thing, and to date everything has been positive. Can't find a significant negative comment anywhere. ANYWHERE!

Soooo.....

Are there any? Lets face it, no ski is perfect, but this seems pretty close, as based by its riders comments I've come across.
    Does anyone know of any potential problems I need to watch out for? Anyone killed one? Anyone had something break? Even the fluffy dice?? Someone spilled a beer in one?? ANYTHING!!
    Because while I'm sold on the thing, but wouldn't mind final reassurances from someone with some experience with it before parting with $20K on it

Grinz. Pathetic, huh ;>

Cheers
    Scotty
    Brisbane, Australia

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    great ski i tried to break one, didn't work, lol. Brand nwe 15F out of e box, put it in the water, idled for maybe 10-15 seconds and then LITERALLY beat the living crap out of it wide open throttle for the next 3 hours. some break in

i love the handling, low-end throttle response, etc.... coming from RXPs and RXTs it was lacking a good chunk of top speed for my liking.

20k for one?? i know someone selling one 2006 model with cover and 5 year warranty!! it'd be cheaper to buy one here in the US and ship it there if ur cost is 20k.

+1
    The Kawi 15F is a good dependable ski however it beats the livin' sheet out or the rider in rough water...not saying that the ski won't make it through the snotty conditions, it will. The seat is made too low for the average rider to grip it with his legs/knees when doing a radical turn. The bars are too low for comfortable stand up riding if you're over 5' 6". Mechanically the ski is great. Be sure to check all the hose clamps for tightness though, they have been known to be loose from the factory and leak or pop off. I would hold off for a few months until the new Kawi models come out. I think that anyone who does will be happy that they did !!!!

Richard

Talking Aussie ripoff ;)

Grinz. Had seriously considered sourcing something from the US, but the good old Aussie Government screws you over each time. You pay GST, import tax, freight costs, as well as the ski costs, and THEN the Australian Dealers won't honour overseas warranties.
    Speaking of warranties, they give a whole 12 months here, with no option for longer. Generous bastards
    Teach me for living on an island
    Mind you, it DOES have a lot of beaches. Surfers Paradise is really Jetski mecca. Can never have too many surf beaches.
    Scotty

Oh, forgot. It's $19500 Australian dollars. Not US.
    Take a $9500US ski, which is around $13000 AUS. Add 10% GST, makes it around $14500. Add $2000 freight, and it's $16500AUS. Then the government charges taxes, adding another few grand.
    So, basically back up to $19500AUS. Unfortunately.

Chuckles....you folks in the US are lucky. We pay through the butt for this stuff here. Every time I see something in the US at half the price of here, makes me grumpy

Had considered the supercharged SEADOO versions, which are pretty impressive, but I need the endurance. Sometimes, we do 180-200km trips, which I understand the supercharged won't be able to manage. Oh, that, and we're now talking $24500 AUS for them
    Plain nasty.

Scotty

+1
    To me the 15f is a very well rounded ski. It may not be the best at any one thing, but it does everything well and is priced right. I looked at the seadoo's as well but the dealers here wouldn't budge on MSRP. They sell them no problem at MSRP. The Kawi dealer down the street was offering them for 8,600. I liked the simplicity of the Kawi. It's a strong all motor ski with proven reliability and performance from their motorcycles. I didn't even bother with a warranty because I have no worries that something major will happen. Plus I feel I can fix it if something goes wrong. They're very simple. I've had mine for 3 months now and have 68 hrs on it. I ride 3-5 times a week and ride very hard. I've had zero issues with anything so far. If I bought another ski today this would still be the one based on performance, price, and reliability.

That is exactly what I've been hearing. It may not be top of anything, but it does a good job of everything
    Thanks mate.

+1
    I have one, and have been able to compare it to many other skis. The biggest problem is that it gives up about 10 mph to the RXT's. The other is that it can ride kind of hard in rough water. Other than that- I like it.

+1
    10 mph to RXT's? More like 4-5 if both are stock.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    he's got 69-70 mph RXTs... riva stage 1 skis.

his 15F is all stock, that's why he says 10 mph, haha..

but stock for stock, it's a legit 5-6 mph difference between them, and that's alot... we ride with that 15F and many RXPs and RXTs and you just get smoked riding that 15F... we can feather the throttle and play games going back and forth pulling away from the 15F at our own liesure.

if you put both skis in front of me and told me to pick one, i'm truthfully not sure which one i'd pick, they both have their assets... now if u put equal speed / HP in both, i'd pick the kawi in a heartbeat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information