Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I trim mangroves.....

1/2 hour sunrise / sunset and Fl law, new regs?

Took a boating safety class the past few weeks. Anyway, just now looking over two handouts from the FWC. They both state to run a PWC 1/2 before sunrise and 1/2 after sunset you need NAV LIGHTS before sunrise and after sunset in those 1/2 hour windows. So with no nav lights and in those 1/2 hour windows it's illegal to operate a PWC in Fl. News to me, I thought the USCG mentions you can not install nav lights on a PWC. However, the Federal vessel requirement IS nav lights sunset to sunrise for all vessels.
    One other important note, the one flyer shows that neither daytime nor nighttime visual distress signals are required on a PWC. I know people who have gotten tickets for not having flares on board. Which is another gripe I have because flares are only required when operating a vessel at night and specifically noted that they are not needed when operating during daylight hours only.

I ***g ditches
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by inothome View Post
    flares are only required when operating a vessel at night and specifically noted that they are not needed when operating during daylight hours only.

I don't think so. Unless something in the law has changed, flares have to be on certain sized boats, and not PWC's. They are also very useful for daylight signalling along with night time isgnals.

If I would do Bimini runs, i'd have some flares though. They don't take a lot of room, but not really necessary as we typically ride close to some sort of land.

I trim mangroves.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post

I don't think so. Unless something in the law has changed, flares have to be on certain sized boats, and not PWC's. They are also very useful for daylight signalling along with night time isgnals.

If I would do Bimini runs, i'd have some flares though. They don't take a lot of room, but not really necessary as we typically ride close to some sort of land.
    Right, but I've had people tell me they got tickets for not having flares on a PWC. Doesn't jive, I do carry flares though, you never know.

dude
    +1
    it's a catch 22 thing....I think if a vessel has navigational lights(can be used from dusk till dawn,they must carry flares.
    PWC's are illegial to use from sunset to sunrise.
    I've never even been asked about flares. I was ticketed in lake boca for no sounding device(whistle).

I trim mangroves.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    PWC's are illegial to use from sunset to sunrise.
    That's the thing, in Florida PWC's ARE legal 1/2 hour before sunrise till 1/2 hour after sunset. Only now (that I noticed) must have nav lights during those 1/2 hour periods.

From http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_Boat.htm#PWC

Personal watercraft may not be operated from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, even if navigation lights are used. Remember, both federal and state law requires the use of navigation lights from sunset to sunrise.

You're only allowed to operate 1/2 hour before sunrise or 1/2 after sunset if equipped with nav lights. Who has lights on their PWC in Florida? I just don't remember having the nav light requirement before and I know people who do ride after sunset but not more than 1/2 hour after.

Neighborhood Superman
    +1
    Ive been stopped a few times, no one ever mentioned to me flares.

Moderator #985
    +1
    I will try to remember to look all of this up in my CFRs on the boat monday.
    Inland waters do not require flares on any size vessel unless operated at night then only night time red flares are required.
    If a vessel, any vessel goes offshore it is required to have both orange smoke daytime flares and red nighttime flares. I think for recreational vessels though you are only required night flares. I am a Commercial vessel captain so I carry all safety equipment even on my personal boat when offshore. I am pretty sure as long as you are within 3 miles(state waters) you are not required to have flares. It is only once you enter federal waters that they are required. I think there are some acceptions to this. I know the great lakes require flares and some places on the west coast. I am just not sure on the East coast.
    If the state of florida allows you to operate a PWC in that half hour window, you are required to have proper working nav lightsand nighttime red signal flares. These are Coast Guard regs.

I trim mangroves.....
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    I will try to remember to look all of this up in my CFRs on the boat monday.
    Inland waters do not require flares on any size vessel unless operated at night then only night time red flares are required.
    If a vessel, any vessel goes offshore it is required to have both orange smoke daytime flares and red nighttime flares. I think for recreational vessels though you are only required night flares. I am a Commercial vessel captain so I carry all safety equipment even on my personal boat when offshore. I am pretty sure as long as you are within 3 miles(state waters) you are not required to have flares. It is only once you enter federal waters that they are required. I think there are some acceptions to this. I know the great lakes require flares and some places on the west coast. I am just not sure on the East coast.
    If the state of florida allows you to operate a PWC in that half hour window, you are required to have proper working nav lightsand nighttime red signal flares. These are Coast Guard regs.
    The state/ federal waters makes sense.

THE PLATE MAN
    +1
    No law in Florida about flairs on a jet ski.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by inothome View Post
    Right, but I've had people tell me they got tickets for not having flares on a PWC. Doesn't jive, I do carry flares though, you never know.
    i would take that 1 to court in a hot minute

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    No law in Florida about flairs on a jet ski.
    +1
    as i remember it pwc's were givin a pass on certain safety equipment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information