Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

President Obama says 'purchasing a boat is unnecessary spending'

http://www.nmma.org/lib/docs/nmma/gr...ama_020310.pdf

Unbelievable!!!

NMMA Calls On President Obama to Clarify Boating Comment, Invites President to Tour Boat Factory

Chicago, IL
    CHICAGO, Ill., February 3, 2010 – The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA), the recreational boating industry’s largest trade group, has called on President Obama to clarify his remarks in Nashua, New Hampshire yesterday which associated purchasing a boat with irresponsible spending. The President made this off-the-cuff remark at a town hall event announcing his new Small Business Lending Initiative. The President has already apologized to Las Vegas for similar comments he made in the same speech.
    “The recreational boating industry is one of the last remaining American manufacturing businesses and net exporters, contributing nearly $30 billion in new sales and services to our nation’s economy each year, said NMMA president Thom Dammrich. “We don’t believe the President meant any harm by his comment, but we encourage the President to join us in celebrating the U.S. recreational boating industry and to stay focused on creating conditions for a strong business environment, including his own remarks.”
    NMMA today sent a letter to the President encouraging him to visit a boat manufacturing plant and describing the U.S. boating industry. “Boats are made by middle-class Americans for middle-class Americans. By associating buying a boat with irresponsible spending, President Obama does a disservice to the very middle-class boat manufacturing communities across the U.S., such as Elkhart, Ind. We ask that he instead encourage Americans to spend responsibly and enact effective policies to get banks lending again so the American middle-class can get back on its feet,” said Dammrich.
    The U.S. recreational boating industry creates more than 200,000 jobs in the United States, and has a total annual economic impact of $100 billion, including nearly $30 billion in new sales and services each year. Boating is a middle-class activity where 75 percent of boaters have an annual household income of less than $100,000, and 95 percent of boats are under 26 feet in length.
    Recreational boating has been impacted by the distressed American economy, notably waning consumer confidence, tightened credit and banks’ unwillingness to support floorplan lending and the housing market crash. New powerboat sales decreased an estimated 28 percent in 2009 and 24 percent in 2008, leading to tremendous job loss and a decrease in boat manufacturing activity across the U.S.
    NMMA’s letter to President Obama can be found here.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    That is crazy, Washington is getting out of control. If it was up to the government they would want all of us to get rid of anything that runs on fossil fuel and all of us to buy a horse and buggy. But even then they would come up with something that all the manure being dumped on the streets is causing global warming.

+1
    It is easy to take quotes out of context as well.
    I do believe he was refering to purchase what you can afford...but I wasn't there...

And we can afford his Stimulus package, and his Obamacare? And he tells me what NOT to do? He should stop and listen to himself once and a while! His Dont Go to vegas line did not sit well with Vegans! Here Mr. Ried is one of his fan boys, and he is the Neveda senator! I figured Obama would have his back? I guess not, as that is the second time "O" has slammed Vegas. Did he win that state?

Banned User
    +1
    Oh, this is gonna turn into one of those nasty political posts, isn't it.
    Today, Obama used his Executive Powers to appoint a bi-partisan panel to figure out how to "fix" the budget situation.
    Why did he have to use his Executive Powers to set up this panel?? Hmmm...

How bout if ya just stop spending money!!!!! Fricking moron needs a panel to tell him he's already spent this country into debt that our Grandchildren will be trying to get us out of.

I agree with the philosophy that you shouldn't spend, what you don't have. That is what started this economic free-fall in the first place. Free money. Many people spent well beyond their means. Fiscal irresponsibility is what I call it.
    However, those of us that were Fiscally Responsible, will have to pay for others irresponsibility.
    It's a Progressive thing. Rob from the rich, to pay the poor.

This is all part of a Grand Scheme. You watch. This new "Panel" will somehow, amazingly, "save us from a disaster".....shortly after that announcement(it's coming, just before the next elections), they will make a recommendation........TO RAISE TAXES!!!(after the elections)

You bookmark this thread, and watch the news and see if I'm wrong. The Great Obama Hippocracy is only going to get worse. Much worse.

My advice it to save every penny you can, and get good value for your hard earned money. Don't spend money you don't have!!! Cut up your credit cards...you don't need them. If you can't afford it today, save up for it, or don't buy it. Learn to live on less, even if you have more. Put more money into savings. Trust me, it's going to get much, much, worse.

EDIT: I thought of more that I wanted to say; The Government needs to practice what they preach. Does Michelle Obama really need 22 assistants, costing Millions of dollars a year??
    Did the President really need to meet with the Dahli Llama today(at a cost of over 1 million dollars?)
    Are we really experiencing Global Warming, and do we really need Green Jobs....or a Green Jobs Czar???
    How many Millions were spent on the Global Warming summit in Copenhagen??
    And the list goes on and on and on.....Government spending like nothing any of us have ever seen in our lifetimes.

Want to immediately stimulate the economy??? CUT TAXES!!!! That's what Ronald Regan did, and we enjoyed a great economy. It would be like giving everyone an immediate raise in their paychecks.
    Cut taxes on Gasoline!!! How about $1.50/gallon, nationwide!!??? Wouldn't that stimulate travel during the busy summer travel months??? Airline ticket would be cheaper(much cheaper), and, since you are paying less in taxes, you would have some/more disposable income.

The Government needs to learn to live on less money. If WE can do it, they certainly SHOULD do it!!!

+1

A Lay-off letter from an excellent boss.
    Dear Employees:

As the CEO of this organization, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barrack Obama is our President and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way.

To compensate for these increases, our prices would have to increase by about 10%. But since we cannot increase our prices right now due to the dismal state of the economy, we will have to lay off sixty of our employees instead.

This has really been bothering me since I believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who would have to go.

So, this is what I did. I walked through our parking lots and found sixty 'Obama' bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the ones to let go. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. They voted for change...... I gave it to them.

I will see the rest of you at the annual company picnic.

THE BOSS

Banned User
    +1
    ROFLMAO!!!!
    That is priceless, and so prophetic.

I think the "Average Joe" is beginning to wake up and see what's going on.
    In a recent survey, people were asked if the Stimulus Package has helped the economy. 84% of the people asked, said no!! 6% of the people asked, said yes, they stimulus package has helped the economy.
    By comparison, 7% of Americans actually believe that Elvis is still alive.

If you really want your eyes open to the facts, with no B.S., watch Glen Beck, on Fox News. If your already scared and depressed, I recommend that you don't watch the show. You will go away from watching the show each day, more and more angry at the flagrant abuse of Government power, and spending.

What pisses me off the most, is a politician treating me like I'm an idiot. I will be the first to admit, that I'm not the smartest person in the world, in fact, far from it. However, I do have an abundance of Common Sense, and a fairly cautious/skeptical, some say negative, attitude.

However, I'm not waiting for the Government to fix things, or even give me a handout I don't need. Be Proactive, not Reactive. Think about that phrase, and how you can apply it to your current situation.

Oh, and go by a boat!!!!!(just so we stay on topic...LOL)

I give anyone 5 stars who absolutely knows what the answer to our problems are.
    One thing remains constant with me.
    I am positive that i do not know what to do to fix it, and have faith that our elected officials have more wisdom, insight and intelligence than myself.
    Quite simply put,,, its complicated.....

Banned User
    +1
    It's not complicated at all. Our Elected Officials are spending us into oblivion.
    Real quick history lesson on how this all started; back in the early 90's, a Progressive organization called ACORN, approached then President Clinton, and demanded he do something to allow "everyone" to be able to "own" a home.

Clinton approached Alan Greenspan, and demanded that the Fed(Federal Reserve Board) do something to allow "everyone" to buy a house. So, he lowered the interest rate that banks borrow money at, to as low as zero percent. He also had a "stern" talk with the banks, and told them they must lower their standards to allow more people to borrow money.

The banks jumped on the band wagon, and before long, you had people on Social Security, unemployment, and Disability, now qualified to buy houses. And not just any old house. They were buying $250,000 and up houses.
    Basically, as long as you had a pulse, you qualified to buy a house.

Now the credit card companies wanted their fair share too. They also borrowed money from the Fed, at near zero percent. And to qualify for a $5000 credit card, you only had to be able to fog a mirror with your breath.

Now the plot thickens. People were spending way more than they earned. In fact, some were spending 3 to 5 times more than they earned.

No problem said the banks. We'll pay off your credit card debt, and we'll re-finance your home, and, we'll give you an extra $10,000, just because we're swell guys.

The problem with these home loans was, there was a catch. The initial payment was extremely low...sometimes less than what an interest payment would be on the loan. But, after a pre-determined time period, that low payment, would balloon up to a standard payment.

Well, these "average joe's", that bought these quarter of a million dollar homes, now faced a real mortgage payment. A payment that exceeded, in most cases, what they earned each month. Ooops.....didn't see that coming.
    How on god's green Earth, can a person be so stupid, as to not read the entire home loan document, and realize that in 5 years, or so, the payment was going to triple!!!!????

Enter the Credit Default Swaps. This little known, "backroom" stock trading is what really got the wreaking ball swinging. The banks knew, that a certain percentage of these loans would result in default. So, they sold those loans, at a greatly reduced rate. The buyers of those loans, were banking on the fact that those loans would not default.
    Well guess what.....they defaulted.

The bottom line to the problem was greed, and ignorance. People were spending way more than they earned, and borrowing money that they could never afford to pay back.
    Couple that with the huge corporate greed, and the absolute stupidity of our Elected Officials, and you have the makings of a financial meltdown.

How do we get out of this?? Don't spend, what you don't have. Don't borrow, what you can't afford to pay back. In fact, don't borrow a dime. If you can't afford it, you don't need it. You only need oxygen, food, water, and shelter. Everyone should learn to live within their means, and learn to live with less.

Page Two; President Obama flew to Las Vegas today. Why?? Well, he wanted to say how sorry he was for the bad things he said about Las Vegas. And since Obama is such a swell guy, he felt that he needed to personally go to Las Vegas to deliver his apology.
    Anyone wanna guess how many millions of dollars that little trip to Las Vegas just cost US, the United States Tax Payers???? Millions!!!!! Just for an apology.
    It's that kind of "forward" thinking, by our Commander in Chief, that has bankrupt this country.
    He tells us not to go out and buy a boat, and not to gamble/spend money in Las Vegas.
    What does he do??
    Christ on a fricking crutch!!!! Is there anyone in there.....just nod if you can here me.........

This is not a Republican problem, and it's not a Democrat problem. It's a Progressive problem.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

Glad that was so easy to fix. Wasnt complicated at all.... Now we can all get up and go to work monday morning. the layoffs are over..
    I knew i was nuts for commenting on a political thread... No more, over and out... Back to the racing threads for me..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information