Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 96 XP problem

Question 96 XP problem

I have a 96 XP with a problem turning over. Starter is brand new high torque. Everything on the motor is fine. Problem is, the motor will only turn over when the spark plugs are removed. Seems to be a pressure problem, but no water comes out of the motor when i run it this way.

I am certain it isnt the battery, starter, or starter relay.

It seems to be a pressure issue and i have no idea what it is.

+1
    Try a new ground wire, and ground it in a different location. Had 96 GSX did the same thing. Grounded it in a different location and it cranked like crazy.

I have hooked the jummper cables directly to the starter, same result. Thanks though.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    low battery...let me guess, it just clicks when you have the plugs in? if thats the case you need to charge the battery when all positive leads are unhooked.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    low battery...let me guess, it just clicks when you have the plugs in? if thats the case you need to charge the battery when all positive leads are unhooked.

No, battery is fully charged full size battery. Again, everything runs like normal when the plugs arent in. I tried it last night with only one plug in and it clearly runs more. It seems to be a pressure issue of some kind and I think i am going to pull the head tomorrow to see if there is something in the chamber.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    What was happening leading up to this problem? sink it? water ingestion? rebuild?

+1
    fit something was in the chamber the the motor would lock up completely. you wouldn't be able to get a full turn out of it, with or without the plugs in. if you just replaced the starter and your sure the battery is good, then you have either

A. a bad ground/connection.
    B. you got a faulty starter.

my bet is a bad ground. jumper cables are not known for makeing the best connections. its the cheapest and easist fix. it is also a very common problem. might as well address it now. disconnect the old ground at the battery, get a new ground from a parts store (or wally world), bolt it to the motor and then to the battery and try again.

Take both the battery and starter to a auto parts store and have them load tested.
    Normally for free. That will rule one or both out. If both pass, cut ends of cables and put new lugs & shrinkwrap on. Bills86e

honestly guys, I have done all of that. The jumper cables are getting hot enough that I have had to recut the ends and reinstall them into the alligator crimps. I am 95% sure there was never any water ingestion, and when I run the motor with no plugs it fills the boat with a gasoline smell.

I have had 4 different starters on this boat, 3 brand new, and the final one is the high torque starter that is on it now.

I really appreciate the help but I am at a complete loss right now, this thing ran at the end of the season last fall too.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    What was happening leading up to this problem? sink it? water ingestion? rebuild?

didnt sink it, no ingestion, no rebuild, I though the motor might be a bit stiff or something so I got some sea foam and sprayed it in there to loosen it up, but the rotating assembly moves perfectly fine when there are no plugs in it

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information