jumped in with both feet

hi, i am a new member here and new to pwc ownership. i recently picked up a 2000 polaris genesis 1200 jet ski from original owner with 150 hours on it. the ski was modified by hot seat performance shop here in mn after being purchesed new. the mods are , hi dome pistons for a compression increase, new cdi box set for performance, carbs re jetted, k&n style air filters, flame aresters, modded exhuast, new performance impeller/jet drive, new wedge, not sure of make or specs, very nice trailer with a sealed tack box for extra gear. the ski seems to run well and appears to be in very good cond. all the parts that were removed by hot seat are included with the ski as well. as i am new to this sport, what have i gotten my self into what can i expect from this ski?? i am an experienced motor cyclist and snowmobilier and well these things look like a blast are there any issues these polaris genesis crafts are prone to that i should be aware of? thanks and from what i have read here looks like a great site

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk greenfire.

Are you sure it's a Genesis? I thought those were the 4 person skis.

Would be an odd boat to modify.... And I thought they were fuel injected.

Got any pics you can post?

yupper it is a genesis and it is a carb model, polaris offered a ffi as well, and it is a 4 seater, previous owner is a co woker and i have known he and his wife a long time, they sold it to me due to money problems .

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

And welcome to the world of PWC riding

Post up some photos

Have you had it out on the water yet?

The Genesis model isn't as familiar to the guys on here as the very similar 3 seater Virage, and the predecessor SLTX. The Genesis is a little longer overall, and heavier. It is a very solidly built hull. Take care of it, and it will last forever.

I expect it will run about 60mph with the modifications you listed, give or take. A stock Genesis runs low to mid 50s.

Polaris made the fuel injected Genesis from 1999 through 2004, and the carb'ed model from 1999 to 2002.
    Note: The 1999 Genesis had an unusual under the water dual exhaust system, while the 2000+ models used the Virage style exhaust system.

The modifications you listed that would actually increase performance are the higher compression heads, the pump wedge, and the impeller to handle the extra power. The recurved CDI might also make a difference, but how much I couldn't say.

The aftermarket exhausts tend to be more noise than power. Aftermarket flame arrestors help a little, but the stock air intake is actually fairly efficient (and it sheds water fairly well).

Plan to spend some time reading up on your machine, and on watercraft riding in general.

Polaris PWC tend to be reliable, but that reliability depends upon proper maintenance and care. Even though it may have been well cared for, take the time to go over it from end to end.

Your Genesis is ten years old. Things can work loose, become worn and out of spec, get clogged, need lubricating, and so on.

Be sure to check cylinder compression (all spark plugs out, throttle held wide open). Also check the piston 'wash patterns' if you can. Together they can give you a good indication of how well the engine is currently running.

2-stroke PWC engines are rather high output for their size, and are often run at high throttle levels and high RPM for long periods of time.

The number one thing they require is proper fuel delivery. A lean condition on any cylinder can quickly melt a hole though a piston, even though the engine seems to be running well. The primary cause of this is clogged carbs or other weakness in the fuel system.

Click the link in my signature for a good starting point

thanks for the info, hopfully every thing works as good as it looks.

v-force reeds were also installed as well, is 150 hours a lot for a pwc?

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfire1960 View Post
    v-force reeds were also installed as well,

is 150 hours a lot for a pwc?
    Depends, really. If well cared for, with engine fogging oil used when appropriate, and run with decent quality 2-stroke oil, these engines can run for hundreds of hours.

Not well cared for, well, much less

The cylinder compression will give you an idea you how much cylinder and piston ring wear has already occurred.

The two areas that often determine engine life are cylinder wear, and rust/corrosion in the crank case bearings. Even a thin surface film of rust in the roller bearings is the beginning of the end for the bearings.

That is why Polaris, and many of us here, recommend fogging the engine whenever it is going to sit for more than a few days. Takes only a minute to do, and the fogging oil does a great job of coating and protecting the bearings.

On a stock engine, another test we use is to observe the maximum sustained engine RPM at wide open throttle. If the max RPM starts to decline over time, then the engine is putting out less power.

As long as all cylinders are wearing evenly, it can still run for a long time even as it slowly weakens. Monitoring cylinder compression assures that one cylinder is not getting weaker than the others, at which time the engine should be rebuilt.

my ski has thrust vectoring......does yours??? killcraft's Avatar
    welcome to the forum i think you will find the folk on here extremely helpful i know i have

Thread Information