Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy here. I could use your help

I have an 04 gp1300r. I got it in bad shape with a blown motor. Had a guy repair it and do a bunch of performance mods. Well he got it to run about 71mph on a gps and the engine took a shit again. So needless to say I have an ass load of money into this thing and have NEVER even riden it in 3 years I have owned it. So what im looking for is a used good running engine that will drop into my 04. Do you guys have or know anyone with an engine? I would like to just enjoy this money pit just one summer atleast. Any help out there?????

Thanks Erik

Moderated
    msg 305coco, he has his mates motor for sale from an 07 GPR, 50 hours on it with the right mods. he is selling it because he is going to put an rxp motor in it.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117091

also make sure you get rid of the stock oil injection with whatever you go with, run premix and you should be fine once the fuel controller dialled in. Oil injection failure has killed more gpr motors then just about anything else, getting rid of the oiul pump and pre mixing your oil fixes that once and for all...i have 190 hours on my big bore 2002 gp1300r now ( second rebuild due to me porting it for more speed) but its been running premix now for 150 of those hours and never had an issue except for some leaking gas valves and some other odd small issues like forgetting to tighten up my ride plate

if you need any other help getting it installed, just start a thread in the Yamaha projects section and we will all help you get her done, thats what we do here.

welcome to the board

Thanks for the reply. Thats a little more than I can spend on an engine. Arnt the 04 and 07 engines different? I read there is a power valve engine and a non. I have no clue whats the difference. I have a very low budget for this thing now. I have over 10 thousand invested in this thing and its a pile of non running SH$T. I refuse to spend good money on it anymore.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

What is blown on your motor it might be cheaper to rebuild?

As for PV's 2000-2002 1200's were PV and carbureted. The 2003 and 2004 PV and fuel injected 2005-2008 were non PV and fuel injected.

Time to get the wrenches out first do a compression test before anything else and see which cylinder failed is the motor locked up or will it turn over if it is locked up get the head off and take pictures so you can post them. this board will help you along with repairs ,where are you located maybe someone local to you can help you along.

I havnt even seen the ski in 2 years. I m going to pick it up this weekend. I have a real good guy with my best interest giving me advice. He said I would be best getting another engine. I dont know what his name is on here but I know he used to be on here all the time. He used to run at the mud bogs a few years back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

What is blown on your motor it might be cheaper to rebuild?

As for PV's 2000-2002 1200's were PV and carbureted. The 2003 and 2004 was PV and fuel injected, 2005-2008 were non PV and fuel injected.
    ^^^

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    ^^^
    Updated thanks.

I did talk to the guy that has the ski and he said the bottom end was making some death noises. His opinon was the crank was in need of replacement and who knows what can of worms would be opened up when it comes apart. So all in all I think I will be in the market for another engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKIN View Post
    I did talk to the guy that has the ski and he said the bottom end was making some death noises. His opinon was the crank was in need of replacement and who knows what can of worms would be opened up when it comes apart. So all in all I think I will be in the market for another engine.
    Not a very big can of worms at all, if the crank is out it is a matter of replacing or rebuilding and resealing the cases. Now while your at it a re-ring may be in order depends on how the cylinders look. These really are pretty simple once you get into them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information