Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris MSX140 drain oil 2 stroke

Hi I have just bought a Jet ski a month ago. I just bought some more 2 stroke oil from a jet ski shop. They recommanded it but they said It might not mix with the other brand in there which im not sure what was in there before. I cant get in contact with the old owner to find out. What do you recommand to do? I got about a quater of oil left Do you think just mix it in or somehow drain it you got any instruction on how to do that?

Thanks very much

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

What model and year Polaris PWC do you have?

What brand and label of 2-stroke oil did you purchase?

What color is the old oil?

Thanks for the Fast reply
    Its a MSX 140 Polaris
    oil is Premium Plus 2-cycle Outboard oil
    NMMA/BIA
    TC-W3
    not sure what colour the oil is

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch04 View Post
    ...Its a MSX 140 Polaris
    oil is Premium Plus 2-cycle Outboard oil
    NMMA/BIA
    TC-W3
    not sure what colour the oil is
    I am not familiar with that oil.

PWC 2-stroke engines are fairly high output for their displacement, and often run at high RPM (higher than most outboards) and high power levels for long periods of time.

In general, outboard engines are less hard on the oil than PWC engines. There have been lots of discussions about oils, here and elsewhere. Search for TCW3

TC-W3 is a rather dated oil rating system, designed more for outboards than PWC engines. Yes, it is what Polaris recommends as the minimum, and at the time there wasn't another test standard they could specify.

Bottom line - use a trusted name brand, high quality oil.

Ok But what do You recommand to do Just put the new oil in? or drain?
    Some people say it will be fine some say maybe to drain the oil put new oil in
    what do you suggest?

Thanks again

+1
    Draining is safer, I suppose, since you don't know what is in there now.

However, be sure to purge the air out of the oil lines afterwards. And change the little in-line oil filter, just to be on the safe side.

Do take the time to read up on these machines, before you start riding. It is easy to damage something if you don't know what it is supposed to look like, or how it is supposed to be working.

There is a lot of good info available on this forum, and in the link I provided.

Even if it seems well maintained, check it over from end to end.

Ok Thanks for your help
    What do you think will happen if I put my oil in?
    Ran It would the jet ski just stop or what?

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch04 View Post
    ...What do you think will happen if I put my oil in?
    Ran It would the jet ski just stop or what?

Thanks
    If you mixed the oils, it will probably also be fine.

If for some reason the oils were incompatible (rare, but possible), then the engine may not receive proper lubrication.

Without proper lubrication the engine will fail in short order, and require a rebuild.

Engine rebuilds are expensive, oil is not. Even very good oil is much cheaper than an engine.

Unless you are really sensitive to what is going on with the engine, an oiling failure is often not noticed until the engine is internally damaged.

hi ok I have drained the old oil and put the new oil in have not started it up yet. Im just going to leave it for the night making sure it does not leak.

Can you please tell me where to purge the air out of the oil lines?

Thanks

bleeding oil

Hey Mitch, to properly and safely bleed the oil you need to locate the oil pump (mounted on the front of the engine, on the mag housing). With the engine NOT running. Loosen the screw on] the top of the pump, takes a 10mm socket/wrench. Loosen that screw and leave it loose until a steady stream of oil comes out. This bleeds the supply line and the pump. Here is where the arguing will begin as some will say I am wrong because polaris says no mixing oil with fuel on the Ficht. Mix oil with the fuel in the tank at 50:1. I assume this is fuel injected as I believe all the MSX were. If it happens to be carb you can connect a tank of mixed fuel to the carbs or fuel filter. Pull the air cleaner off and you will see 1 small hose going to each throttle body from the oil pump. Pull those hoses off at the throttle bodies (not neccessary but does make it easier to see any air bubbles). Run the engine (with cooling water obviously) and while running pull the oil pump lever to full oil position (look at the direction the cable is pulling it). Watch each hose until they pump oil with no air. The hoses are transparent so you can see air in the lines, just run it untill it is worked out then reconnect.

Between you and me (and the thousand others here), I wouldn't worry about mixing the oil in the gas as the hoses will not be off for long and a rollerized engine can run a long time on a few drops of oil under no load.

Also between you and me, if you are lazy, mix oil in the gas and go ride the crap out of it. The oil lines will bleed themselves, the unit will get double oil so it may smoke a bit and worst case foul spark plugs.

For the record, I am a firm believer in Synthetic oils, I run amsoil in everything I own including my Craftsman lawnmower. Sorry to be long winded but I don't get on here much so I need to try and earn my keep, these guys have helped me out more than once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information