Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 gsxl bogs..........

i know this has been covered a bunch but can't find the exact problem with this one. i changed the fuel lines, cleaned carbs which was chokablocked, sprayed carb cleaner throughout the carbs jets everything, fuel selector switch i put carb cleaner through it and then ran a water hose through it to blow the junk out, sprayed with more carb cleaner after. fuel filter was cleaned, emptied tank but did not pull tank out to clean. it starts great idles great but if you go from idle to 3/4 throttle quick it bogs and then revs up, if you constantly stay revving it up then it will run fine, let it idle for a minute and it will start bogging, when you hold it at half throttle it slowly starts falling off. i pulled the carbs off again and cleaned to make sure.

well found out there is once again more trash sandy looking gunk in the fuel filter, guessing the only way to clean the tank is to pull it out?? do the fuel baffles go bad and break apart??

+1
    You'll probably find that your fuel filter (screen) at the end of your pickup is most likely plugged up; replace it.

Item 22 if you can see the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2328_0027.gif 
Views:	54 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	174167  

+1
    Ethanol can break down certain plastics, which may be your problem is it sat for a long time. besides the filter screen on the bottom of the pick up, there are the carb filters-2 and the external in line filter -1

You've been around here and really know better dude, you should never run water thru your carbs & parts to clean them, carb cleaner and air worls fine. you really need to actually rebuild them correctly with new internal parts and check the pop-off instead of just cleaning.

TLR

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    hey bro get a fuel filter from Oreilleys and install it after your primary filter,
    I paid about 2 dollars for it and works fine, its extra insurance and the good thing it that the filter is clear and pretty big in volume, so you will never worry about slow flow.

its big enough you can probly ride a few more miles, with the gas still inside it lol

Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    Ethanol can break down certain plastics, which may be your problem is it sat for a long time. besides the filter screen on the bottom of the pick up, there are the carb filters-2 and the external in line filter -1

You've been around here and really know better dude, you should never run water thru your carbs & parts to clean them, carb cleaner and air worls fine. you really need to actually rebuild them correctly with new internal parts and check the pop-off instead of just cleaning.

TLR
    ran high pressure water through the fuel selector then sprayed carb cleaner after not through the carbs , the diaphrams look brand new, the guy had the dealer install the new engine from rotax, rebuilt the carbs but did not change the lines which ive done. the trash in the filter looks sandy, like little broken up pieces of plastic or glue, not the same color as the green gunk in the lines.

+1
    Never use automotive style/paper filter on a ski, never, I don't give a shit who says to, Thats a rookie move, LOL

Did you clean the fuel selector valve and hoses while attached to the ski?

TLR

Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    Never use automotive style/paper filter on a ski, never, I don't give a shit who says to, Thats a rookie move, LOL

Did you clean the fuel selector valve and hoses while attached to the ski?

TLR
    completely took the seletor valve off to clean it, as for the lines i just changed them all using autozone fuel line. the guy i bought it from let the gas sit there for 6 months. so i guess bottom line is there is gunk in the tank because everytime i run it, there is more trash in the filter, when i pulled the carbs had to clean the screens again wasn't as much trash but still some. so i will be pulling the tank over the next couple days, will let you know how it works thanks for the help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    completely took the seletor valve off to clean it, as for the lines i just changed them all using autozone fuel line. the guy i bought it from let the gas sit there for 6 months. so i guess bottom line is there is gunk in the tank because everytime i run it, there is more trash in the filter, when i pulled the carbs had to clean the screens again wasn't as much trash but still some. so i will be pulling the tank over the next couple days, will let you know how it works thanks for the help
    Thats all, one step at a time man. It may not be possible to remove your gas tank without moving your engine, I don't recall if the tank will fit through your hood, keep that in mind.

+1
    The problem with an automotive style fuel filter is that they almost always use a paper filter element. When water hits it the results are predictable, and predictably bad.

If you want to add an extra filter to the line get one made for marine use.

I do not think a GSXL tank will go out through the hood, though I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information