Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stator ID - and other ignition woes

I'm diving in to my bargain basement '97 SL 1050 this weekend.

I picked it up along with an SL 750 and two trailers for a smokin' deal. The PO said he had taken them to a local non-Polaris dealer and after spending lots of money and time the dealer told him it needed a new stator. The guy was fed up with the whole deal and just decided to sell them.

A few things I noticed when I was picking them up:
    -There was a CDI and coil pack and plug wires in the front storage bin.
    -CDI part number 4060180
    -Coil part number 4010342
    -The electrical box was open
    -The ground wire from the battery in to the box was toasted

-There appeared to be a new CDI in the electrical box with the same part number as the one in the storage bin - except this one appeared to have the updated wiring and plugs.

-Checking the part numbers on the CDI, they're for a '98/'99 1050. This is a '97.

-I was just planning on pulling the stator and putting one of my spares in. After fighting with the flywheel for half the day (Kill it with FIRE!!!) I was surprised to see what looks like a brand new stator underneath it. The flywheel also appeared to be brand new.

The problem I have now is that I can't find a part number on the stator. I have three spares on the bench and only one of them has a part number printed around the outer edge of the backing plate.

I have a spare 4010403 stator and 4010477 CDI. I suppose I should just put those in and call it done, but the fact that it already has new parts kind of bugs me.

Thoughts?

+1
    ohm out the stator you pulled out and see if it's good

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    I'm diving in to my bargain basement '97 SL 1050 this weekend.

I picked it up along with an SL 750 and two trailers for a smokin' deal. The PO said he had taken them to a local non-Polaris dealer and after spending lots of money and time the dealer told him it needed a new stator. The guy was fed up with the whole deal and just decided to sell them.

A few things I noticed when I was picking them up:
    -There was a CDI and coil pack and plug wires in the front storage bin.
    -CDI part number 4060180
    -Coil part number 4010342
    -The electrical box was open
    -The ground wire from the battery in to the box was toasted

-There appeared to be a new CDI in the electrical box with the same part number as the one in the storage bin - except this one appeared to have the updated wiring and plugs.

-Checking the part numbers on the CDI, they're for a '98/'99 1050. This is a '97.

-I was just planning on pulling the stator and putting one of my spares in. After fighting with the flywheel for half the day (Kill it with FIRE!!!) I was surprised to see what looks like a brand new stator underneath it. The flywheel also appeared to be brand new.

The problem I have now is that I can't find a part number on the stator. I have three spares on the bench and only one of them has a part number printed around the outer edge of the backing plate.

I have a spare 4010403 stator and 4010477 CDI. I suppose I should just put those in and call it done, but the fact that it already has new parts kind of bugs me.

Thoughts?
    post pics of the stator so we can tell if it's the new style or old
    the 180 is still the old style cdi

I'm sitting here staring at the e-box now and noticing some more weird stuff:

-The battery to e-box ground wire is plugged in to the TAN terminal, not BLACK
    -The brown wire from the CDI is plugged in to the GRAY terminal, not TAN
    -There is a resistor between the GRAY and TAN terminals. I don't remember my '96 900 or the '96 1050 having this.

Is it possible that someone just just dumb and/or color blind and wired it back wrong? Or are these changes part of a TSB from Polaris when they started having ignition problems?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    I'm sitting here staring at the e-box now and noticing some more weird stuff:

-The battery to e-box ground wire is plugged in to the TAN terminal, not BLACK
    -The brown wire from the CDI is plugged in to the GRAY terminal, not TAN
    -There is a resistor between the GRAY and TAN terminals. I don't remember my '96 900 or the '96 1050 having this.

Is it possible that someone just just dumb and/or color blind and wired it back wrong? Or are these changes part of a TSB from Polaris when they started having ignition problems?
    the brown and gray are ok thats the limp mode wires they came in 2 colors depending on the year but the black to brown is no good
    and i forgot what the resistor was for but you really don't need it from what i remember

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    the brown and gray are ok thats the limp mode wires they came in 2 colors depending on the year but the black to brown is no good
    and i forgot what the resistor was for but you really don't need it from what i remember

So brown/gray don't matter? The terminal board has places for both brown and gray.

What was the deal with the burnt ground? I remember as part of the update kit, you were supposed to cut the battery to box ground wire. My 900 had the same issue before I did the update kit.

I'm also wondering if I need to check the kill switch wires too. The hurricane burnt me on that when I first got it. Had spark the day I bought it. The next day, no spark. Tore the e-box apart and was ready to be a new ignition kit when I discovered that the kill switch was just sticking open.

I need to spend some time reading over the tech stuff here tonight.

D'oh. Didn't see your first two replies.

Here are some pics. It is the old stator/CDI. But they're brand new. Either they were installed and never run (but the PO said he was riding last summer.) Or they were new old stock that somebody screwed him on.

It's almost like the CDI was an intermediate update though. It has the same part number as the old one, but the wires are a tad different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stator.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	174076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdi.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	174077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	174078  

Other oddities:

The stator was held in by non-original, non-stainless allen-head bolts. There was Three Bond on the end of these bolts, indicating that at a bare minimum the MAG housing had been removed. The crank seal also looked new. The motor may have been rebuilt.

There was a bit of gunk and sludge in the bottom of the MAG housing but the stator and flywheel looked shiny and brand new. Doubtful that it was run since they were put in.

+1
    thats an old original stator it might have been changed but it is a early version

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    thats an old original stator it might have been changed but it is a early version

That's kind of what I figured out last night. Wish I knew the history of this boat.

Looks like I'll be putting the spare update kit in. Are the 4010403 stator and 4010477 CDI a matched set?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information