Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Considering a GPRXP

So lately I have really been looking into modding my 00' GP1200R and it leads me into looking at all of the GPRXP conversion ski's. Talk about something to drool over. I am having a hard time in deciding if I should try and look for a GPRXP vs. modding my GPR. So I have a few questions:

• What is the downfall of these skis? It seems to me it's instant speed, but there has to be something that is negitive about it.
    • On average, what is the cost to do the swap vs. buying one that someone has already done? Also, what are shops charging to do the conversion and how long is it taking?
    • Is the GPRXP mainly for just go fast setups or can it allow me to cause havoc on the ocean waves? I would assume this is mainly about the prop and hull setup.
    So if I did intend to get a GPRXP, I would most likely sell my 99' Ultra 150 and my GP1200R.... what would you do?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD View Post
    So lately I have really been looking into modding my 00' GP1200R and it leads me into looking at all of the GPRXP conversion ski's. Talk about something to drool over. I am having a hard time in deciding if I should try and look for a GPRXP vs. modding my GPR. So I have a few questions:

• What is the downfall of these skis? It seems to me it's instant speed, but there has to be something that is negitive about it.
    • On average, what is the cost to do the swap vs. buying one that someone has already done? Also, what are shops charging to do the conversion and how long is it taking?
    • Is the GPRXP mainly for just go fast setups or can it allow me to cause havoc on the ocean waves? I would assume this is mainly about the prop and hull setup.
    So if I did intend to get a GPRXP, I would most likely sell my 99' Ultra 150 and my GP1200R.... what would you do?
    -Buy a RXP, spend a year with it, then make up your own damn mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Asking for opinions... in the end I will. Key the fact I asked question in regards to the GPRXP, not just RXP. I have ridden an RXP plenty of times to know the characteristics of that ski... but I have never had the opportunity to ride a conversion ski. How the GPR will respond to the conversion is my question, whats the balance split with the conversion, how is the weight of the motor in comparison to the 66V...

+1
    Imagine a gpr with limitless power and speed. One that turns better than a regular gpr handles the chop better. Only bad thing about gprxps is when they do go BOOM its expensive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    This is your best bet...I rode my RXP for 2 months before taking it apart to do the conversion.

I agree with Joe that it handles better as a GPRXP than a GPR.

Doing a conversion eleminates any kind of wave jumping or anything of that sort. What you should do depends on the kind of riding you enjoy and the conditions you ride in the most.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by treemoney View Post
    Doing a conversion eleminates any kind of wave jumping or anything of that sort. What you should do depends on the kind of riding you enjoy and the conditions you ride in the most.

Why cant you wave jump a conversion?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by treemoney View Post
    Doing a conversion eleminates any kind of wave jumping or anything of that sort.
    That is 100% wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    Why cant you wave jump a conversion?
    This was something I was thinking about... I'm definitely a wave junkie but also a speed junkie. I was worried about the weight balance of the conversion ski. Sort of a similar situation at the 97' Sea-Doo XP model that wasn't exactly "centered".

Also, what about the hull integrity after the cuts and glass work?

Those were my two concerns with the conversion as far as wave jumping.

I really like hearing the handling improves. It's pretty crazy to go from my Ultra to the GPR and just see how much improvement in handling there really is between the two.

Is the center of gravity of the RXP engine what is making it handle better? Other than COG and the mass of the engine... I can't pin point what would help improve the handling.

Since youre asking opinions, Ill give mine as I have ridden and own both types of skis and have ridden plenty of 2-stroke GPRs.

Pros-
    -Tons of potential for top end speed.

-The hull itself is very tunable for more speed. Simple mods can achieve noticable gains.

- Cheap to build. The power-to-money ratio is unbeatable.

Cons-
    -There are safety concerns that could result in serious injury or death if you do not set the hull up properly and even if so, you still have the possiblity, however slight, of overstuffing.

-The GPR is not a good wave jumper but neither is the RXP. If you want to wave jump, buy an XP/XPL. Neither of the aforementioned boats are light enough or have the hull design to really get you into the air unless you are hitting some BIG surf.

-I personally do not consider the GPR a comfortable to ride. The seat is wide and my ankles smash into the sides of it in the chop.

-The holeshot is not good and there is no complete cure.

This is just my opinion, and I dont know nearly as much as the people who posted before me [above] but I think the rxp is a much more stable, comfortable ride. The holeshot is instantaneous and the power is much more linear. Unfortunately, with an rxp, you are limited by the hull itself. You will reach a point where no matter how much boost you throw at it you will not go much faster (due to drag created by the hull itself) and you will then find yourself spending hundreds, or thousands, chasing after .5mph here or there like so many on this forum.

I guess you have to ask yourself what your goals are. From your post, it doesnt sound clear..
    If your goal is to build a 90mph ski, do a conversion.
    If you want to wave jump, buy an older XP.
    If you dont want to build a ski from scratch, or you like the rxp, buy an rxp...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information