Water in engine compartment RXP X

Hey everyone I have a quick question re my 2009 rxp-x. I allways ride in heavy surf and big waves. I was going thru my 10 hr break in period this week end so i wasnt really riding hard or hauling a$$ just crusing around south beach, there was alot of wind and I was getting alot of water over the top of the craft. When I removed the seat the whole engine was coverd in dry salt. I know its normal for some H2o to invade your engine compartment but this is my second RXP, I had a 2004 that I rode in the same area under even worse conditions and never saw any thing close to this amount of dried salt. I know its no big deal but I was thinking of adding an open air intake filter and am having second thoughts. I noticed that the air intake in my p-x is diffrent than my 2004 maybe it flows more air and possibly more water. Just wanted to get some p-x owners thoughts and comments. I YES since its a brand new p-x I am a little anal with a question like this but Im sure in a couple of months and about 50 hours LATER my (I have a new craft blues) will go away and I will be asking normal questions...

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

Try searching for air in takes and water intrusion as i know there are some threads already about your questions.

The P-X has an extra air intake on the right side and will take more water than your RXP if you get it under water. Also bringing in more air so if you're banging around will get more mist.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami RXPX View Post
    Hey everyone I have a quick question re my 2009 rxp-x. I allways ride in heavy surf and big waves. I was going thru my 10 hr break in period this week end so i wasnt really riding hard or hauling a$$ just crusing around south beach, there was alot of wind and I was getting alot of water over the top of the craft. When I removed the seat the whole engine was coverd in dry salt. I know its normal for some H2o to invade your engine compartment but this is my second RXP, I had a 2004 that I rode in the same area under even worse conditions and never saw any thing close to this amount of dried salt. I know its no big deal but I was thinking of adding an open air intake filter and am having second thoughts. I noticed that the air intake in my p-x is diffrent than my 2004 maybe it flows more air and possibly more water. Just wanted to get some p-x owners thoughts and comments. I YES since its a brand new p-x I am a little anal with a question like this but Im sure in a couple of months and about 50 hours LATER my (I have a new craft blues) will go away and I will be asking normal questions...
    Hey bro, welcome to the forum. I ride in much the same conditions as you and like you i was stunned at how much dried salt residue was left all over my motor after riding. I think it has someting to do with the seat soaking in water and spraying it over your motor. I think i have heard that an aftermarket seat cover might solve the problem. But for now make sure you arent a tight ass with the corrosion inhibitors before and after riding. make sure you try and get all the salt off the motor (it gets everywhere!!)

As for your question on the air intake, i think if you go for a 4" intake and mount the air filter up underneath the glove compartment, you shouldnt have a problem..

Hope this helps

Dont just spray protectant on the engine. You need to rinse it inside and out with fresh water then spray on the protectant. Otherwise it will just trap salt on the surfaces

There's something wrong. It ain't because the extra intake is on the side. I always ride rough salt and never have water in the hull. I've nosed into big waves so bad I completely subbed and my buddy couldn't see me under the water and there was no water intrusion.

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Hey bro, welcome to the forum. I ride in much the same conditions as you and like you i was stunned at how much dried salt residue was left all over my motor after riding. I think it has someting to do with the seat soaking in water and spraying it over your motor. I think i have heard that an aftermarket seat cover might solve the problem. But for now make sure you arent a tight ass with the corrosion inhibitors before and after riding. make sure you try and get all the salt off the motor (it gets everywhere!!)

As for your question on the air intake, i think if you go for a 4" intake and mount the air filter up underneath the glove compartment, you shouldnt have a problem..

Hope this helps

Hi friend,check your seat!I was in trouble with this for a year and after a seat cover problem resolved.

Thread Information