Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

working on a 1995 SL650

I am working on a 1995 SL650. The gas tank and engine have water in them. I would like to find a service manual, I see there are a couple of publishers. Any one know where I can get one? I don't want to spend a lot of money just to find out it's not worth spending money on.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Do you plan on rebuilding the engine yourself?

Other than having the crank shaft rebuilt by a professional shop, the rest of the engine rebuild is just parts cost and the effort involved in putting it together.

Click on the link below to find more info on your Fuji engine, and the commonly needed maintenance and reliability upgrades.

Thank you for the response.

I used to work for a Polaris dealer around the time this ski was new. I am familiar and confident that I can do the repairs. I have not seen the ski yet, this has just been brought to my attention today. I have read the link, and I have been searching the forum all day. I do remember from my time working on these a lot of what has been mentioned. Things like the fuel pressure to the carb.'s, not running long on hose because of bearing temp., etc. But, it was very informative to know about the factory pump wearing and not possibly not providing enough fuel pressure. And, reminder things, like the restricted return line.

I would like to thank every one that has contributed to this site. A bit of this info was not known to me when I was working on the craft before.

I am not sure how accurate the information I have been given on the ski I am to be working on. I do not know if the water was introduced into the engine while the owner was working on it. I do not know if they turned it over while it had water, or if it was hydro-locked. The information that I do have was given to me second hand. So, I was searching for a manual to refresh my mind.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you located?

Do you operate a repair facility?

+1
    I have the selco manual for my 750 $23 on ebay. I am sure you can find a digital copy on here, but I like to have paper books

+1
    water in the engine sitting will ruin everything. If was swamped, the stator could be toast too. along with the starter inside rusting out. Check the e=box for corrosion too.

+1

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk madmax.

Sorry Seaobin, I'm not very fond of the Seloc manual. I think the Clymer manual is more informative.

I'll sell my Seloc repair manual for $20 shipped in the U.S.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk madmax.

Sorry Seaobin, I'm not very fond of the Seloc manual. I think the Clymer manual is more informative.

I'll sell my Seloc repair manual for $20 shipped in the U.S.
    i have too agree with x i have a seloc manual just like that and i dont like it because it is not very descriptive of my ski (sl1050) but it does cover it..

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Where are you located?

Do you operate a repair facility?
    I am located in Northern Illinois. I do not own a repair facility per say. I am one of the founding members of an off-road club, Muddiebuddies.net.
    http://www.muddiebuddies.net (Shameless Plug )

We started with trucks, and then went to quad's. The whole time I have been riding bikes. I own a 1991 Kawasaki KLR-650. My small engine experience started in school. My first year at the vocational school I went to the VICA competition in Springfield and won second place. I got beat by my second year class mate . I worked at 2 land locked marina's since, moved on to trucks and cars, then on to the last 14 years as an industrial electrician and CNC/automated machine maintenance. Throughout the whole time I have been working on the side with PC's and networking. I have also recently started a mobile DJ business. And, our off-road club has been going for 2 years now, and is growing.

But, I have wandered off topic, I apologize. After more conversation with the owner, the engine compartment was not flooded. It turns out the water was mixed with the gas in the tank. When he worked on the carb.'s, he assembled something wrong and flooded the engine with gas/water from the tank. With the rebuild instructions found http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/, they have been re-assembled properly.

The tank has been cleaned, as with all the lines. He has drained the case, and "fogged" with 2-cycle oil from a spray nozzle. I will be instructing him on bearing inspection. He is hoping to get it ready for a trip to the Key's in a week or 2. He is going to call and order a 3 outlet pump today.

Max

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information