94 XP 657 engine wonít turn over

Hi new to the site and been searching for an answer 2 my problem all day hope some one can help me out here.

Winterized my ski last October and all was fine, so today I decided to de winterize it and get it up and running. The ski will not turn over when I press the start button no clicking or anything.

So I checked the battery which was fully charged, then decided to check all fuses which again all was fine. Iíve undone every wiring block I could see and cleaned them up, still wonít start. Undone all battery and earth cables and gave them a good clean up with some wet and dry. Jumped the starter from the solenoid and it spun over but the ski wasnít getting a spark is it supposed to get a spark when I do this way?

When I press the start button I know its working as I can press the vts switch and the jet will move up and down so that shows the switch has power when pressed. Has anyone got any idea what it could be been outside for 6 hours on it now.

Have you checked the ground to the motor?

I would use a test light and test for power coming out of the soleniod to the starter and the wires feeding power to the soleniod when you hit the start button. Sounds like a bad soleniod to me

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd800XP View Post
    I would use a test light and test for power coming out of the soleniod to the starter and the wires feeding power to the soleniod when you hit the start button. Sounds like a bad soleniod to me
    I have used a test light and i have no live coming out the solenoid but do have one going in. when I jump the Terminals with a screwdriver the starter spins normal. So do you think the solenoid is gone? Also do you think a solenoid from a 98 GTX will fit just so I can test it as I know that ski is in good working order. One last thing when I jump the terminals should I be getting a spark from the spark plugs or not?

Found the problem today, it was the lanyard post i've bypassed it and the ski fired up first time. So just need to get a new one now. Cheers for all your help

Thread Information