96 venture starting trouble

What's up guys,

I've got a '96 Wave Venture 700 and I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to start. I took a shot in the dark and bought a starter and essentially wasted my money because that didn't do the trick.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to a bad flywheel because the engine will crank fine when the spark plugs are removed and the engine doesn't face any compression. As soon as I put the plugs back in and the engine faces compression it clicks once and that's the end of it. I'm thinking the teeth are worn down or something along those lines, but I'm not super knowledgeable on the workings of this ski.

I'm planning on pulling the motor to check it out but I just want to try to make sure I'm not doing unnecessary work..

Any suggestions?

I am not sure but does yours have the starter idler gear?It would be behind the flywheel that could be bad,never had one go bad that way but anything is possible.also i guess nothing is coming out the spark plug holes when you cranked it without plugs in did it, oil,water.a friend of mines ski would not turn over i took his plugs out it turned over fine,but oil was coming out when i turned it over,it could not compress that much oil,probably not your problem as you would have noticed that.

not sure about the idler gear, but it does spit the fuel/oil mixture when it cranks without plugs. my understanding is that that is supposed to happen when cranking though.

also, it doesn't stop cranking but the starter spins free and disengages when compression is introduced.

might be that idler gear,yes some mixture would come out spinning it over,but it should not be big amounts,my friends had to much oil in the cylinders from a internal seal gone bad,that was a sea doo though.

if the starter spins free then have you checked your starter solenoid?

brand new starter

solenoid is separate,the positive lead off of the battery will go to the solenoid first,then to the starter.could be your problem.

someone on this site may have a manual you can download,tells you how to test these things so you do not waste money,give it time.

Thread Information