Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Toyota Recall check this out!

Hey guys, the automotive technology program I'm in at Southern Illinois University was just on night-line regarding the Toyota Recall. I recently had this instructor last semester in his engine management class and is easily the best instructor I've had in the 4 years of my college career. I Helped set this car up since i also work for the university as a lab assistant. Watching this in person is very surreal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/22/v...tio/#continued

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota...ory?id=9909319

Banned User
    +1
    crazy video everyone says YES YES YES it can happen, and the guy with big money (toyota) sweeps it under the rug, imagine that

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    ...I Helped set this car up since i also work for the university as a lab assistant...
    Can you explain exactly what throttle signals are being linked to re-create the acceleration result?

Is it simply simulating a short or resistance between two existing throttle sensors, or something else?

+1
    I hope they get it sorted out. I'm not sure all the facts are on the table yet. ABC News seems to be hammering Toyota with a lot of allegations, I guess we'll have to see where it all goes. Toyota has now pulled all its ads off the network; can't say I blame them.

Meanwhile, the U.S. transportation secretary has threatened that the U.S. government may pursue civil penalties against the company; which of course would certainly help sell the union brands. Hmmm, I wonder; if Toyota keeps losing market share, shutting down plants and sending employees to the unemployment lines, will the government bail them out too? Or do they only do that with unionized companies....

Meanwhile, this from CNN...

Fact Check:
    Toyota not alone in acceleration problems

"• The top five manufacturers of cars driven in the United States are General Motors, Toyota, Ford, Honda and Chrysler.

• The NHTSA's online database indicates that every one of these five has received numerous consumer complaints of sudden unintended acceleration in more than one of its models. Each manufacturer has faced a formal investigation into these complaints by the NHTSA and as a result has had to recall vehicles to fix various conditions that led to the problem.

• Recalls due to incidents of sudden unintended acceleration are not limited to the big five manufacturers. According to the NHTSA database, recalls have also been issued for vehicles made by Nissan, BMW, Volkswagen, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Mercedes-Benz, Kia, Mazda, Land Rover, Suzuki and Volvo.

• In December 2009, Consumer Reports published an article that said 41 percent of the sudden acceleration complaints received by the NHTSA in 2008 pertained to Toyota and its luxury brand, Lexus. Ford came in second behind Toyota with 28 percent of the complaints relating to U.S. models.

• Bottom Line: Sudden unintended acceleration is not a problem limited to Toyota. Many car manufacturers, including the other four with the largest shares of the U.S. market, have had to recall vehicles because of this issue."
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/05/sud...eck/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Can you explain exactly what throttle signals are being linked to re-create the acceleration result?

Is it simply simulating a short or resistance between two existing throttle sensors, or something else?
    When my instructor/boss comes back from the Toyota hearing that's in Washington tomorrow and gives me the ok to do so i will id rather keep my mouth shut. I have a feeling after tomorrow the info will be all over the net and news so it wont matter anyway. Whats ridiculous is that my instructor called Toyota and told them that we've duplicated it and what they said was that's it not possible. Moreover, Toyota has hired an outside companies to come in and research it and they found nothing, If you have a basic knowledge of electronics you can figure this out which makes me think that that company was in Toyota pocket

Let all the facts come out before we judge!

Toyota had a good reputation and they have problems just like GM, Ford, Chrysler, or any other manufacturer. Toyota has produced a good product, how they handle their issues will determine if I will buy another Toyota product. My Tundra has towed many of my "skis" and will continue to do so (unless mine accelerates while towing my babies!) Don't claim to be an expert, I just know that many of us out here have toyota products and have counted on their reliability.

http://www.kfvs12.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4568674&h1=Web%20extra%3A% 20Dr.%20Gilbert%20explains%20research&vt1=v&at1=Ne ws&d1=675367&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info& rnd=55351151

Here is a link to the hearing, Dr. David Gilbert is my instructor. Hes explaining to the board what he found and did. There was press all over our campus and interviewing people. Our program is very small (200 students) but in the top 3 of the best automotive technology programs in the country and one of about 12 that offer a bachelors in it. Very proud to be taught by this man

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    http://www.kfvs12.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4568674&h1=Web%20extra%3A% 20Dr.%20Gilbert%20explains%20research&vt1=v&at1=Ne ws&d1=675367&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info& rnd=55351151

Here is a link to the hearing, Dr. David Gilbert is my instructor. Hes explaining to the board what he found and did. There was press all over our campus and interviewing people. Our program is very small (200 students) but in the top 3 of the best automotive technology programs in the country and one of about 12 that offer a bachelors in it. Very proud to be taught by this man

Cant see link....says the page wont open cause we need to log in????

Copy and past that whole link now just the blue part

+1
    Yeah i think my girls Scion TC was the first car reporting trouble about a year ago with the gas pedal she would push the pedal and nothing all the sudden it would take off, it was in the shop for months replacing this and that they thought it was the brakes sticking but it wasnt. eventually she said i dont want the car and Toyota bought it back no questions and paid her payments back to her the 4 months it was in the shop....

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information