Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Xp ltd vs gp1300r

Alright guys, I listed the same thread in the yami section and got some good answers, was just wandering what you guys thought between the two. Looking at a 99 xp limited or a 07 gp1300r. Already have done my research and just want your personal opinion as which one you guys would choose. 99 xp is $2500 with new engine and 07 gp1300r is $4700 with 30 hrs. Thanks!

Personally I would buy the XPL and spend the other $2200 on mods but then I already have a modded XPL so I may be biased

apples and oranges. Top speed STOCK is exactly the same. I had a stock XPL years back and ran dead even with all of my friends with stock GPRs.

Heres the question- what is your idea of fun? Do you want to tune a hull and do 70mph? If so, buy the GPR. Do you want to wave jump? If so, buy the XPL. The XP is an excellent wave jumper. You can bunny-hop it and spring it out of the water just by shifting your body weight. I used to be able to almost 180 mine off of a small roller. You will NOT do that on a GPR. GPRs are heavier, boaty-ier, and are terrible wave jumpers by comparison.

You are asking two biased groups here by posting in both forums.

IMO, the overall fun factor goes to the XPL. The potential for top speed of the GPR hull, however, is much greater.

The reliability of the 951 motor is not as good as the yamaha either and if you modify the 951 you can kiss reliability goodbye. Im sure some people will come in and say that I dont know how to tune a 951... but I never had good luck modding them. Neither did anyone I knew.

Those 951 skis, particularly the GSX's were also notorious for electrical gremlins.

I also do not recommend any of the DI skis.

See thats why I have found through research as well. The xp's are more the fun factor and wave jumping and the gp1300r's are for speed and cruising. Xp's have engine and electrical problems but the gpr's have hull issues......ugh decisions decisions.

Where I ride it can be glass or one foot chop on days, but those days Im out on my boat. If that helps any?

Also if you do some of Ben's mods for the 951 is reliability going to go down, such as miller head and 15/20 impeller?

Sorry for all the posts, just trying to learn. I also am just on the lake 100% of the time.

Not really any wave jumping available unless its a horrible day out.

And I possibly will have two people riding. Trying to give you guys enough info to learn from your wisdom and experience. Thanks alot!

the gp would be easier to reboard with 2 people. yes the xpl is more of a carver and jumper but the gp can gain a higher top speeds ( both with mods). 3 cylinders will also cost you more in mods and top end rebuilds. should you be handy and willing, you can transplant a rxp motor in the gp. the gp has hull issues but there are fixes for that(supposely).you really need to ride both to determine.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    the gp would be easier to reboard with 2 people. yes the xpl is more of a carver and jumper but the gp can gain a higher top speeds ( both with mods). 3 cylinders will also cost you more in mods and top end rebuilds. should you be handy and willing, you can transplant a rxp motor in the gp. the gp has hull issues but there are fixes for that(supposely).you really need to ride both to determine.
    I agree with you The cost of Yamaha parts are higher and they dont offer factory rebuilds only new. They are harder to mod and have a catalytic converter. The pump like all yamaha has issues with impeller burn and cavitation from a dead stop the fix on the 1300R was traction control. (electronic control of the engine) They need a pump stuffer kit installed to keep it hooked up on take off. The exhaust is big and heavy and blocks access to throttle body. The XPL is a better Ski for maint and cost. The Yamaha has a WIDE WIDE Seat and if you ride with your knees in the foot wells it gets real painful

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information