Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Colour/Production Copier Tech wazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    36

    SHO - Premium vs Regular fuel

    I realise this has most likely been covered, but I cant find any info on it.

    My SHO cruiser 2008 manual states to use just regular unleaded fuel, which I have been doing without any problems.

    My question is...... What would be the pro's/con's of using premium fuel, like the supercharged Doo's have to use? (so I've been told).

    I'm after facts on the differences, if anyone of you pro guys have used it or are using it and if it effects the motor in any way. I'm only going off the manual as it says regular fuel, but need reassurance from you all before trying premium (if its worth it in a ski engine).

    Many thanks for your time.

    Waz.


  2. #2
    FZR N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    728
    +1
    13
    i use Premium small price too pay for a better fuel , i have my motec tuned too Premium and i hear its better for the engine as well and runs cooler ive been told

  3. #3
    SHOTIME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Englewood, FL.
    Posts
    136
    if the ski is stock the only benefit is to the seller of the fuel. the higher octane fuel has no benifit for the stock sho motor, if they claim it has less build up of carbon on the valves that would not be something to consider since these motors are constantly at high rpm's and not depositing much if any carbon on the valves. the only reason to run a higher octane fuel (on a four stroke motor) is to avoid pre-detonation in the combustion chamber and since the compression of a stock boosted sho motor does not require the added octane there is no benefit from it.

  4. #4
    Moderator RX951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    League City, Texas
    Posts
    16,066
    +1
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOTIME View Post
    if the ski is stock the only benefit is to the seller of the fuel. the higher octane fuel has no benifit for the stock sho motor, if they claim it has less build up of carbon on the valves that would not be something to consider since these motors are constantly at high rpm's and not depositing much if any carbon on the valves. the only reason to run a higher octane fuel (on a four stroke motor) is to avoid pre-detonation in the combustion chamber and since the compression of a stock boosted sho motor does not require the added octane there is no benefit from it.
    well explained.

  5. #5
    Colour/Production Copier Tech wazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    36
    Thanx guys. Really appreciate your input here. Dont want to waste $$ or damage anything.

    Yeah, its stock. Thats good enough for me anyways! I'm happy with it.

    I'm curious if the premium would give slightly better consumption.
    Oh well.... from your remarks, I'll probably stay with regular.

    Cheers.

    Waz.

  6. #6
    RichieFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,093
    +1
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by FZR N View Post
    i use Premium small price too pay for a better fuel , i have my motec tuned too Premium and i hear its better for the engine as well and runs cooler ive been told
    I run only 98 ron.

  7. #7
    *Quiet Storm* #22gpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cayman Islands/ Orlando, FL
    Posts
    676
    My question is, has anyone using a motec or vi-pec used 89 octane fuel ? i dont know how much of you all out there know but 87 produces more power than 93 octane fuel. Would like to know if any motec guys runing pump gas has tried the lower octane as of yet ? also any guys with stock ecu's

  8. #8
    gordon lasiter #328's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    katy, texas , United States
    Posts
    1,647
    +1
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by #22gpr View Post
    My question is, has anyone using a motec or vi-pec used 89 octane fuel ? i dont know how much of you all out there know but 87 produces more power than 93 octane fuel. Would like to know if any motec guys runing pump gas has tried the lower octane as of yet ? also any guys with stock ecu's
    i have always used 91 with the ski mostly stock.
    but, i am getting the r2 reprogramed ecu and will be running 91 for rec use. and probably 95 ish in the enduros.

  9. #9
    *Quiet Storm* #22gpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cayman Islands/ Orlando, FL
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    i have always used 91 with the ski mostly stock.
    but, i am getting the r2 reprogramed ecu and will be running 91 for rec use. and probably 95 ish in the enduros.

    ok yeah same here, but used 89 sometimes, never did check performance gains on gps, i know some motorcyle guys use 89 instead of 91 and gain some horsepower from it and some decent performance gains, also some of the mercury offshore racing boats to make more power went with 89 instead of 91 to make more power because of restrictions in the class. just curious to see some guys try it out. see if they gain anything .

  10. #10
    SHOBiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    3,577
    I ran regular unleaded until I went to a C3 s/c wheel. Many changes since and I don't think I will ever see anything but 93 octane+

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FX SHO sound vs Seadoo RX series?
    By skeeterzx225 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 05:04 PM
  2. Set-back Vs. Regular impeller
    By zpeters in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 08:28 AM
  3. 215 vs 255 fuel consumption
    By driveumhard in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 08:19 AM
  4. OPAS pro vs. regular blockoffs
    By wakeborder556 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 10:40 PM
  5. opas block offs pro vs regular plate block offs
    By CarFanatic in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 08:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •