Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

SHO vs FZR, 2008, 9, 10?

I was curious if there is any consensus of speed differences between the SHO and FZR/S ... is the FZR still considered 3 mph faster even when both skis are modded, or?

Also curious of any major differences on the SHO motored skis from 2008, 2009, 2010?

I am not planning anything yet, but have noticed a few good deals on 2009s and even a few 2008 SHOs (new stock at dealers).

+1
    from what ive seen there isnt much if any speed differnce but i can be wrong

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I was curious if there is any consensus of speed differences between the SHO and FZR/S ... is the FZR still considered 3 mph faster even when both skis are modded, or?

Also curious of any major differences on the SHO motored skis from 2008, 2009, 2010?

I am not planning anything yet, but have noticed a few good deals on 2009s and even a few 2008 SHOs (new stock at dealers).
    In stock form the FZ's seem to be 1-2mph faster. My SHO ran 67.0 stock & most of the stock FZ speeds I've seen posted are 68-69. The FZ's do respond better to adding angle to the plate because of the full length lifting strakes on the hull, so yeah maybe 2-3mph faster on a modded ski setup for smooth water. It might be a different story in heavy chop though.

The only changes I'm aware of on the SHO are bigger boarding step backing plates on the 09's & an upgraded pump spacer/prop on the 10's.

+1

The hull on the fzr is totally different. From what we have seen it is good from around 1-2mph and handles much differently. The fzr seems to carve harder and turn in with more of a lean in style. Both great hulls. As far as differences the sho motor hasnt changed since 08.

+1
    Thanks for the input ... I was curious since some numbers I have seen don't show a big difference in top speed between the SHO and the FZR ... I understand the handling is different, but most rec riders aren't carving buoys and might not really feel a big difference in handling. It seems like the SHO keeps up pretty well ...

+1
    Thanks for the input ... I was curious since some numbers I have seen don't show a big difference in top speed between the SHO and the FZR ... I understand the handling is different, but most rec riders aren't carving buoys and might not really feel a big difference in handling. It seems like the SHO keeps up pretty well ...

It definately keeps up. If you like the rough water handling, looks or whatever it may be the speed difference isn't much. I personally have considered adding a fx to the stable. I like the stability.

+1
    the SHO in stock form has a 12/19 prop. the FZR/S has a 12/21 prop. the FZR/S also has a different style pump inlet.
    if you look at the SHO and FZR mods that are similiar, there speeds are similiar as well.
    if i wanted a boat that turned on a dime, i would go back to a GPR and drop in my SHO powerplant, that would be unstoppable......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_1160f3a05daf490ba8becc061e165fde.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	174563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01388.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	174564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01399.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	174565  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    the SHO in stock form has a 12/19 prop. the FZR/S has a 12/21 prop. the FZR/S also has a different style pump inlet.
    According to R&D the fzr has a 12/22 prop. This is right from their web site...
    "NOTE: The O.E.M. YAMAHA FZ/FZR Impellor pitch is 12/22"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    According to R&D the fzr has a 12/22 prop. This is right from their web site...
    "NOTE: The O.E.M. YAMAHA FZ/FZR Impellor pitch is 12/22"
    you are correct, i knew it was a 12/21 or a 12/22. my point was that the SHO has a lower pitch prop which would effect the top speed compared to a FZR/S. throw a 13/22r solas on both bone stock skiis and you would have a fair contest....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    It definately keeps up. If you like the rough water handling, looks or whatever it may be the speed difference isn't much. I personally have considered adding a fx to the stable. I like the stability.
    + 1
    The SHO stays much flatter in turns & has a tendecy to chine hop when turning hard in chop, so it's definately not a good CC hull but the added stability makes it less tiring while riding offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    if you look at the SHO and FZR mods that are similiar, there speeds are similiar as well.
    if i wanted a boat that turned on a dime, i would go back to a GPR and drop in my SHO powerplant, that would be unstoppable......
    The stocker from my SHO measured 12/20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information