Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with poor Blaster Performance

My first post on this forum and I'm already asking for help. I wanted to get some ideas on why my blaster is running so poorly. First, here is what I have: 94 Blaster 701X with Riva Red Pipe, Riva head w/ 35cc domes (180 psi), and K & N FA with pre-filter. My problem is that the acceleration is real sluggish, and the engine never seems to hit a powerband. The ski ran great all summer, then all of a sudden it wouldn't go over ~5 mph. I determined that the heat sensor was bad, and so I removed it. After doing this, the ski would eventually get up to speed, but had terrible acceleration. I determined that a few of the reed petals were chipped (aftermarket reeds) so I replaced them with some OEM ones. I thought for sure that would get me going again, but when I took it out after changing the reeds it still has very sluggish take-off. Any thoughts on what to check? Could it be electrical? Thanks for any input/ suggestions.

+1
    Have you done a compression check? If you go to the "how to" section of the forum there is a thread on how to do it. That would be my first step. Also if you dont have a compression gauge a local dealership will usually do it for free.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum rng124.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum

yes, i have done a compression check. it comes up as 170 psi each cylinder when cold. I haven't checked it hot.

+1
    Those Riva red pipes are notorius for exhaust leaks where it bolts to the manifold,if you have the $ get rid of the Riva & get a Factory Mod pipe it smokes the red pipe hands down.

wouldn't an exhaust leak be noticeable (like smoke filling the engine compartment)? when i run it on the trailer, it revs up fine and reaches peak rpm in a second or two. i do this with the hood open and see no smoke inside the engine bay. thanks for the idea, any others?

+1
    You might not always see or smell the leak. Ride the Blaster with the hood cracked open to get fresh air... put a towel or something between the hood and the rest of the hull, and do not go to fast because they are so unstable. You could tear off the hood just by trying to hang on should you fall. Just check for accelleration.

How about your CDI? Have you checked it or switched it?

Then there's always that carburetion thing.

+1
    I was waitin' for ya to chime in Dave being a blaster owner from way back...

My money is on an exhaust leak, and no you cannot always see the smoke. I had the same problem with my old blaster and R&D pipe. One of the silicone couplers split right at the clamp. Ruined a trip to rocky point becuase I couldnt figure it out while i was down there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information