Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to jetskiing, thinking of buying an Ultra 150

Thinking of purchasing an Ultra 150, the guy Im buying it off says all is good rides but get it to hundred percent I need to;

- he is saying its hard to start up there is a technique he is going to show me but once started its fine after that.(says that the carby needs replacing it will fix the problem)

- it does launch as good as it supposed to and says the impellor needs replacing.

Any ideas or opinions guys, thanx in advance.

+1
    how much is he asking and what year and how many hours just be carfull could be more than what he is saying

Alot of ultras are hard to start, most guys put a primer on to cure the hard starting.

It may need pump bearings as well as a prop.

Be sure to check the compression.

+1
    Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, If you don't know the seller and are not really familiar with all the things that you should look at, you are gambling buying the ski without taking it to someone reputable for inspection. May be the best money you spend. Compression should definitely be checked.

I got lucky when I've done this but have had a few things that needed fixed. Bought my 750SX in the dark from a guy I didn't know (through a mutual friend) and never heard it run prior to giving him the money. Fortunately, it only needed some fairly minor hull repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Alot of ultras are hard to start,
    ALL Kawi 3-cyl 2-strokes are hard to start even when comparing to their own 2-cyl 2-strokes mainly due to lower compression ratio, 120 psi vs 150+ psi.

If you are not familiar with 2-strokes or don't have a special desire to have this particular model, stay away from Ultra 150 which is little more finicky than other 3-cyl 2-strokes like 1100 STX. For newbies, 4-stroke skis like 12F or 15F is a good choice.

You have a point about the 3 cylinders. Although my stx1100 is more of a pita to start than either of my ultras.

I like the performance of the ultra but I will say its not the ride for everyone. Do some reading up on them and if you get a chance go ride one before you decide.

+1

Ultra 150

Every Kawi 2-stroke I've owned was hard to start when cold. Two choices... install a primer kit or a really good battery.

I had a 2000 Ultra 150 and it was also hard to start when hot. Don't shut it right down after WOT operation... let it idle a few minutes to cool off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    I like the performance of the ultra but I will say its not the ride for everyone.
    I agree. My Ultra 150 was very quick, but it was a hard and unstable ride. If you ride on the ocean or rough water, be prepared to get a little beaten up. Also, plan to spend a lot of time in the air... every little wave launches the ski.

I like the STX... not as quick, but a stable ride and very agile.

+1
    I LOVE my Ultra. It starts instantly with primers. I have the stock ride plate and modified up trim, so it spends a lot of time airborne. The original down trim is OK for choppy water, but miserable the rest of the time.

It certainly handles differently from other 'Skis, even the Kawasakis. I learned that if you can hang on, you'll be OK (most of the time).

Ditto on the primer. They are a battery & starter saver for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information