Thread: Live well

Live well

In my thoughts of putting a larger cooler on the back of my ski I know I have to shut down the yamaha spout to avoid interference on my fxho 08 ski. While planning for that I also thought it would be nice to redirect that flow of water to supply a livewell. However, my concerns are exhaust gases getting mixed in with the water and killing off the fish in my holding cooler.

Is it clean water or not?

+1
    I'm not real familiar w/your platform, but I'm pretty sure your spouting clean water, BUT, if it's recirculated (open loop) cooling water, it may be to warm for live well purposes. You could maybe use it initially to fill up your "live well", but wouldn't you have to eventually shut it off (over flow)?

+1
    I found this at our local Cabela's the other day. I think it can be used as a bait box or live well. But I also came to the conclusion it's too expensive: I've got too many ice chest laying around that I can convert, like you're wanting to do.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...e=search-resul

I had another thought about your proposed set up: You could always cut a "over flow" hole up high in the ice chest. So when your exhaust fill it up, the water will only get so high and then self-drain/regulate. That is, of course, if it isn't too hot (is there a marine biologist in the house?)

Hey thanks I like to stay with the same cooler due to the rod holders and the ability to be flexible on the water. The water inlet for the spout is a pickup in the pump and my guess is that it's cool water. Exhaust also runs out there somewhere which is my big concern As for the overflow i can tap the top of the cooler with a drain plug.

+1
    Finally, if you figure it out, post up a DIY to share w/other members. I've got a few accessory builds that I want to sticky under my rack build. Perhaps a mod can give us a DIY PWC Rack Accessories thread: Rod holders, live wells, etc...

Yep I'll do that. Going to need more power.

Don't know if KOS visits this site or not but if your out there John I'd love to see a picture of the bigger battery in your ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ldippi View Post
    Yep I'll do that. Going to need more power.

Don't know if KOS visits this site or not but if your out there John I'd love to see a picture of the bigger battery in your ski.
    That addresses another idea I had: Obviously we will need another battery. I'd eventually like to place a battery in the front compartment and have it mounted in a manner that secures it from bouncing around yet can be removed when not needed. The battery would be covered so no terminals would be exposed. Next, I'd like to run 12volt wires, from the forward batter, to the rear of the ski w/a couple of port options (cigarette lighter style) that I could plug the portable "ice chest live well" and trolling motor into.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    i have used these(and 360 or 500 rules) in skis and to make livewells (release wells) in coolers in the back of the pickup so i can travel with live bait for HOURS..
    use alligator clips to hookup to the trailer lights on the car then just use the ski batt or stick an extra batt in the well straped to the side to keep it out of the water..
    worked so well i had to make 4 more for my friends and bosses

http://www.boatfix.com/eshop/60251.jpg

232-MAV2KTDP MAX AIR VENTURI KIT W/FACE
    T H Marine

With face plate and 6' tubing
    Draws fresh air from outside the livewell and injects tiny air bubbles into the water flowing into the livewell. Aerated water enters the well at a lower level than with traditional spray heads. The reduced restriction of this fitting allows more water to flow from the pump, works well on fresh water intake or recirculation systems. Faceplate can be mounted anywhere above the water line.

Price $12.85

List price $17.49 ~ You save $4.63

Thread Information