2001 ultra 150 question

Hey guys, thinking about picking one of these up... this would be my first Kawaski PWC.. I have a few questions

1.) what is the reliability/known issues with these skis
    2.) How much are we looking at for replacement parts?

Thanks for the info guys.

Kawasaki Ultra

Hello mate.

Great choice of ski if you fancy a fast agile two seater. As reliable as any ski with the right maintenance. Ensure the carbs are right and have not been messed with in terms of flame arrestors. Next is the oil lines (5 of them) if they are still original then change them out for Tygon lines. Pumps can suffer from seal issues but are cheap enough to do, check the pump cone and if any water is in there than time to change bearings and seals. Check the hours as at around 150 would be a good time to refresh the top end.

Parts are on par with any jet ski, not cheap but readily available from many suppliers.

Si

+1
    Brad,

It's confusing, and impolite IMO, to ask the same question in several places. That said...

I LOVE my Ultra 150! It was my 5th 'Ski out of 7. It has been very reliable and a LOT of fun to ride. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it for newby riders. It has some quirky handling characteristics in stock form, and it's fast enough to hurt you. I'd suggest spending a season with a 900 ZXi or 1100 ZXi first.

As mentioned, the oil lines often crack--plan to replace them. The cable for the oil pump also goes bad frequently--plan to replace it. Pump bearings tend to go out in the 100 hour range. Pistons tend to fail at about 200 hours--plan a top overhaul at 150 or so. The seal on the back of the multifunction display goes bad and leaks water into the display when submerged--plan to remove the display and re-seal it with 3M 5200 or else it will cost you $800 to replace it. Re-rig the trim to give more UP trim and that will make it twice as much fun to ride.

Btldigger has done a lot of mods to his boat. You should consider the 'triple pisser' mod and inlet cooling water strainer as a bare minimum mods.

Yeah I forgot about some of the handling quirks

A stock ultra does what some have refered to a s a slidding j turn. When you cut it hard you will feel the back end slide the grab hard and turn. It can catch you by suprize and eject you rite off the side. They also can get a mind of their own when crossing wakes at a bad angle or jumpping. It can decide to get sideways when you dont expect it to.

Those 2 things are why a shredmaster plate and a/m sponsons are high on my mods list. It does wonders for the ultras handling and predictibility.

The tripple pissers are highly recomended. It moves all 3 of the cooling bypasses from the heads out where you can see them. If you clog one up and dont know it you can wind up putting a piston skirt through the bottom of a motor quickly.

The mods thread in my sig has alot of info on what to do to make it faster and reliable.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

I've seen...

a few failed driveline bearing seals, resulting in the titanic effect.

that parts are not inexpensive by any measure

that getting the pump off can be real trouble without a puller of some type

the oil pump issues, the oil pump check valves and all things oil related.

Nice ski, but two seaters aren't that popular around here, I have a decent one on my lot and I can't get anybody to give me 3k for it (low hours)

oh yeah..do a compression check!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I have a decent one on my lot and I can't get anybody to give me 3k for it (low hours)
    Don't tempt me! Elephant Butte ain't that far away!

Oh, yea, do you know a guy named Hans that sails a small tri-hull sailboat at E.B.?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

well....

it's got a nice aluminum triton trailer too....

(dangling title in front of screen)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    it's got a nice aluminum triton trailer too....

(dangling title in front of screen)
    That's a clear title for the Ultra, right? I purchased my second Waverunner (untitled) from New Mexico and spent 2 months of hassle trying to get it registered in Texas.

What year? Color? Hours? Compression? Have you ridden it? How much without trailer?

Thread Information