Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Note to self...

Note to self...

When I started fishing from a kayak I was stubborn and took no advice from anyone. Learn as you go was the rule for me. After all, I had been a whitewater guide and knew what I was doing. There were several times where I had to say, "Note to self... Don't / Do ...(fill in the blank)". Such as, "Note to self: Put fly rod together BEFORE you get out in the middle of the lake preferrably on the bank." Another good one was, "Note to self: Wallet and cell phone go in the dry bag for a reason." The list goes on.

I want to jet ski fish but am just starting to read up on it and don't even have a ski yet. Looking back on each of your own jetski fishing histories what would be a few of the times where you had to say, "Note to self:..."?.

...or what was it you were looking for the time you cursed and said, "...if I only had a ... right now this would be much easier/quicker".

We must eschew obfuscation.

+1
    A: Great question.
    B: I don't have an answer, just yet...

However, I'm curious about what platform (PWC) you're going w/and why that brand/model. This will obviously be the bigge$t part of your sporting investment, and it'd be best you love your machine. I think you'll have a lot of questions follow this one. So, whats it going to be?

I haven't decided yet. Most of my fishing will be off the coast of Galveston Island, in and around its bays and possible further down the coast like Padre Island National Seashore (PINS). Port A and Corpus are just about the same distance so i can't count them out or Lake Calcaciou(sp).

I've never ridden a large PWC so I can't say this or that but from what I've gleaned from here, jetskibrian, the left coast guys, Aussies, and Kiwis it will most likely be a 4stroke, not supercharged, and not more than maybe 200 or 300 hours on it. I'm leaning towards Yamaha because I like the size of the BARGE jetskibrian uses (that and I used to think Kenny Roberts was nothing short of Superman on 2 wheels) but I'm open to any make or model that is safe, efficient, has decent range, and doesn't require a diaper and bottle every day. I'm taller than the average bear (Jellystone reference) so I'd need to find something that would accomodate a 36" inseam.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitsurido View Post
    I haven't decided yet. Most of my fishing will be off the coast of Galveston Island, in and around its bays and possible further down the coast like Padre Island National Seashore (PINS). Port A and Corpus are just about the same distance so i can't count them out or Lake Calcaciou(sp).

I've never ridden a large PWC so I can't say this or that but from what I've gleaned from here, jetskibrian, the left coast guys, Aussies, and Kiwis it will most likely be a 4stroke, not supercharged, and not more than maybe 200 or 300 hours on it. I'm leaning towards Yamaha because I like the size of the BARGE jetskibrian uses (that and I used to think Kenny Roberts was nothing short of Superman on 2 wheels) but I'm open to any make or model that is safe, efficient, has decent range, and doesn't require a diaper and bottle every day. I'm taller than the average bear (Jellystone reference) so I'd need to find something that would accomodate a 36" inseam.

OK, great start - good, honest answers. Super speed doesn't seem important (60 mph or over) so you want a Naturally Aspirated (N/A), Non Super Charged or Non Turbo ski. -Which is good. Not having a SC or Turbo means one less part to break down or to be maintained.

You also answered another question, which is "where will you be riding/fishing?" Knowing this can really help you choose a platform as much as speed. Your answer: Off shore (from what I gather). I have SeaDoo, and I love it, but it's not an off shore type of bike. I think you'll be safe w/the Yammi, but you will also want to consider the Kawi. I can't tell you how many times I've read/heard where the Kawi hull is the best for off shore racing. More than anything, you need to "borrow"/test drive these models if possible. I'm not real familiar w/JSB's set up, but the size must lend to the riding comfort.

Do yourself a favor and do some research on off shore riding by hull/platform types... Then we'll cover the small things.

BTW, and I'm not trying to sway you in either direction... be sure to check out internal fuel capacity and dry storage. I think (but I'm not sure) that the Kawi will be on the "more" end of these matters.

Yes, I will probably do most of my fishing offshore but there are several lakes in Central Texas that I'd like to fish for stripers. I'll look into the "demo days" from our local dealer.

Now...... how about your "holy crud! I shoulda brought my..." moment?

+1
    Yes, I will probably do most of my fishing offshore but there are several lakes in Central Texas that I'd like to fish for stripers. I'll look into the "demo days" from our local dealer.

Now...... how about your "holy crud! I shoulda brought my..." moment?
    OK, then - and I learned this the hard way. When it comes to PWC fishing these (in my book) are a must:

Fish grabber/holder: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...p.form1&Go.x=0

Bait/hook remover: Can't find a good link buy a set of pliers specifically made
    to remove baits/hooks from inside the fish's mouth.

I fish in brackish water - the last thing I want is to contract Vibrio. This will prob. apply to where you fish also.

I use a pair of long reach needle nose pliers from harbor freight for hook removal. ~$8.00-$10.00. But yeah, a gripper like that is a must.

...my buddy just chimed in that everyone needs a slime rag too.

+1
    I'll sway you since Billy doesn't want to. Go with the Yamaha VX Deluxe (reverse is a must)! Its naturally aspirated 4 stroke and I honestly dont think any other ski has better fuel economy. They are bullet proof and require very little maintenace. Super stable too!

the one brian has is a Yamaha SUV 1200, 2 stroke. I just picked one last weduesday, 2001 with 26 hrs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
    the one brian has is a Yamaha SUV 1200, 2 stroke. I just picked one last weduesday, 2001 with 26 hrs.
    Yeah, I would say the ski Bri. has is the closest thing to a PWC made for fishing. That and the SeaDoo LRV (4 seater). But you can only buy used that I'm aware of. I don't think either of these models have been in production since about 2003.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information