+1

Yamagata VX110 2006 - overheat

I have a 2006 Yamaha VX110 - After not riding it for six months I charged the battery and headed for the river. Everything was fine until I got on the throttle and after about a minute the overheat warning indicator came on along with a buzzer and the ski when into safe mode. I limped back to the boat ramp and let the ski sit for awhile. I headed back out and the same thing happened again.
    When I got home I checked the water inlet strainer for blockage and the water inlet hose attached to the jet drive. Both were fine. I ran the ski on my garden hose with no problems. I had good water flow from the pilot outlet, good water flow out of the engine head. I had good water flow out of the pisser while riding in the water
    I checked the air filter to make sure there was no oil on it, and it was fine. I also checked to see if I had any trouble codes by pressing the dashboard button and I did not, it gave me a 01 which is normal. I studied the maintenance manual a little closer and figured out how to see if one of the engine or exhaust thermal switches may be causing the problem. Since I had good water flow through the engine and out of the pisser I was suspecting one of these switches was the problem. The way the thermal switches work is if the temperature they are sensing is below the safe operating temperature they remain open, if they reach a temperature that exceeds a safe operating temperature they short and cause the overtemp warning to come on and put the ski in safe mode.
    I put the ski in the water and ran it again and the overtemp warning came on, I disconnected the exhaust manifold thermal switch and rode again. The overtemp warning came on once again so I knew the exhaust manifold thermal switch wasn't the problem. I then reconnected the exhaust and disconnected the engine thermal switch and ran the ski again. This time the ski ran fine and the overtemp warning never kicked in. I ran the ski for another 30 minutes at almost full speed and didn't have any problems.*I ordered the thermal switch and installed it but still found myself with the same problem.
    Can anyone please help with this problem.
    Thanks

+1
    Can you see your pissers when on the river or lake? Do you have water coming out of them when running not on the hose?

I'm not familiar with your ski's pissers. I can see my FZS's pissers and when they stopped pissing in the lake, I had a hose that came off back at the pump.

+1
    yes i can, water comes out fine

+1
    Is anything stuck in the impeller? I got the warning light because I had a plastic bag stuck in there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    Is anything stuck in the impeller? I got the warning light because I had a plastic bag stuck in there.

This will do it... I just bought a 2006 VX110 with 1.8 hours on it - the overheat light came on and they parked it. It had his kids hat/sun visor stuck up in there.

Anybody want a mint 2006 VX110 Deluxe with 2 hours on it?

+1
    nothing stuck. any other ideas?

+1
    Just some thoughts.

Have you tried riding it with the seat removed to rule out a high pressure leak in one of the hoses?

Have you inspected the hose between the transom and the flush tee and inspected the flush tee itself for blockage? You might also want to pull your impeller duct & reseal and also check for blockage in the transom plate.

+1
    tried all that and nothing flushed it many times with salt away, but still problem remains. Any suggesions?

Thread Information