Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 951 motor help

+1

951 motor help

Alrighty fella's. I know I'm gonna sound like a tard here but, here goes. Working on a 2000 XP. Got this boat with a blown motor that was pulled by the customer after it sank. I got this with no nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc. I have a new motor for it and I'm lost as to where some hoses connect. I'm thinking that something is missing inside the hull, cause i don't see any extra hoses inside that aren't hooked up. Here's the question. behind the starter on the bottom case halve are 2 fittings/nipples. What attaches to them??? One is pointed to the back of the boat and the other points straight down. Any help and or pics would be great. Bri

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCKMYWAKE View Post
    Alrighty fella's. I know I'm gonna sound like a tard here but, here goes. Working on a 2000 XP. Got this boat with a blown motor that was pulled by the customer after it sank. I got this with no nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc. I have a new motor for it and I'm lost as to where some hoses connect. I'm thinking that something is missing inside the hull, cause i don't see any extra hoses inside that aren't hooked up. Here's the question. behind the starter on the bottom case halve are 2 fittings/nipples. What attaches to them??? One is pointed to the back of the boat and the other points straight down. Any help and or pics would be great. Bri

Im not sure if it matters on which fitting goes to what, but those are the pulse lines. One goes on the carb that says "Pulse" and the other one goes to the RAVE solenoid. I would assume the fitting towards the mag goes to carb, and PTO one goes to the Solenoid.

EDIT: if you are doing a new motor, replace or at least inspect the check valve inline from the fitting to the RAVE solenoid. Mine was bad and it was kind of a pain to replace.

+1
    Slow 91 is correct. You should also have 3 hoses that connect to the upper pipe and 1 to the lower. I can't remember where the oil lines go. Hopefully the water lines will get you a little further!

+1
    thanks a bunch guys

pop the oil pump off whilst engine is out. Run premix

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by clownhands View Post
    pop the oil pump off whilst engine is out. Run premix
    Check the lines from the oil pump to the injectors, check the main feed line and replace the oil filter, inspect the oil pump drive to make sure it is in good condition. Yes, do all these things.

DO NOT just discard a system that works very well and is in fact one of the most reliable components of a 951 just because some make that choice based on what amounts to superstition and rumor.

Make a choice based on fact, not horror stories centered around what a guy, who knew a guy, who had a cousin, who saw this dude...blow his engine up by (insert possible, but unlikely oil injection system failure here).

Just understand that the oil pumps are made by Mikuni and are very reliable. The system put on the 951 was the best of all the Rotax Marine engines (IMO). Oil injection is more efficient, economical, and safer for your engine (too much oil=not enough gas=LEAN), more convenient and more environmentally friendly.

That said, if you still want to run pre-mix on an engine, then have at it. But please do not do it because someone spouts it off on a message board. IMO, the only legitimate reason to pre-mix is if you are running a pipe and AM rev limiter that pushes the RPM beyond what an oil pump is designed to supply. In that case you are probably racing, or riding like a racer, and you will be better off pre-mixing.

For the most part, though, what racers do is NOT good for the rec rider.

Just keep that in mind...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

I still laugh

when I'm told by folks that they pulled the oil pump off to run premix because (fill in any stupid reason here)

I tell em "one brain fart away from a blown engine"..and then proceed to tape my business card under the seat somewhere.

Yeah, stuff can go wrong with OI systems, but the chance of some loon putting straight gas in is much much higher.

never draw to an inside straight...right?

+1
    this boat had been submerged and the owner never took the liberty of getting the water out of the hull/motor. so the oil pump was beyond repair and the cable end is broken. so without spending a couple hundrd bucks for new cable and pump , it is now pre-mix.now where are my pictures!!!!! lol

+1
    These pic's might help . they are from different skis but will give you a better idea as to where they go.

The fitting marked "A" goes to front carby pulse line and "B" goes to the rave valve solenoid with a check valve marked "C" betwen them in line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO1019.jpg 
Views:	791 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	174947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO1021.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	174948  

+1
    Just what I needed!!!!!! Thanks again everyone.Bri

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information