Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New 99 GSX owner needs help!

I am new to the site and now the proud owner of a 99 GSX limited with a blown motor. I have been told to stay away from SBT for a replacement motor. I have heard of some of their motors seizing, I am not judging I am just looking for facts. The ski is like mint and it is worth it to me to get it fixed right and to get it through a few summers of riding! I do have access to the core but it was not with the machine when I bought it. Thanks!

You are going to have folks with pros and cons regarding SBT engines, but I think I've heard more positives than negatives and they seem to have fair to good pricing for rebuilt engines. Give it a shot; I don't think you'll be dissatisfied.

+1
    seadoo newby, huh? Not trying to hate on you dude but if you are new, what do you know of Rotax engines built (more or less) by SBT? You would not work in Clearwater FL, would you...

The only pros you will hear for SBT would be on 717 family and 787 engines. That is more likely a statement on the nature of those engines than anything SBT is doing.

Do what you want, of course, but if you are paying someone to put this engine in, you need to budget it being installed at least twice to cover yourself on an SBT 951. I am not kidding.

On that note, if you ever see what they do to an engine you would not want one. From the deep cut squish band to the snap rings on the wrist pins they are a testamant to cheap and dirty.

If you want to fix it an sell it, then have at it. Some noob will like the warranty transfer and it may help you sell it. If it is for you, it needs to be OE stuff in there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFGP1400RRR View Post
    I am new to the site and now the proud owner of a 99 GSX limited with a blown motor. I have been told to stay away from SBT for a replacement motor. I have heard of some of their motors seizing, I am not judging I am just looking for facts. The ski is like mint and it is worth it to me to get it fixed right and to get it through a few summers of riding! I do have access to the core but it was not with the machine when I bought it. Thanks!
    PM sent-- I am in Michigan as well.

Stay away from SBT if you can. They use Chinese Parts and the bore everything out to 1mm over so you will never be able to use oem pistons again. Also they weld their cranks so they will be no good as a core for even them. There are a thousand things an a hack shop can screw up on a 2 stroke rebuild not saying they are a hack shop but who really knows. Chinese parts and Hispanic labor with piles of parts no regard for matched components. You decide because you git to live with the decision

Thanks everyone, like I said I am not trying to be judgemental just want quality. Thanks again.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Thanks everyone, like I said I am not trying to be judgemental just want quality. Thanks again.
    Jim is good people. A cold yankee like you, but good people...lol You can depend on what he tells you.

Cold blooded ain't all bad sometimes! but sure is nice to be riding without a dry suit on! Thanks

+1
    Jim will do you right.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Cold blooded ain't all bad sometimes! but sure is nice to be riding without a dry suit on! Thanks
    Oh, I forgot...welcome to GH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information