97 XP 800 problem during running.

Hi,,
    Need help to find out what is going on with my 97 xp.
    when i start the engine in the hose(cold or warm), it will idle for a while then just shut off by it self. it happen the same thing during water test. you can have 5 minutes run, 10 minutes run, and suddenly the engine just shut off like plug the key out.

i have new Dess-key as well as Terminal Key change.

i have check all the cable that goes to the Module, clean, and re-fit.

what would be the cause that the ski just shut off by it self?

thanks
    dre

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hey Dre, it is most likely a carburetion problem. I suspect the engine is loading up at idle, because you didn't mention it lean revving. If you have your low speed screws too far out it will load up from being too rich at idle. After a few minutes like this, without touching the throttle, it will simply die from being too rich.

Try going in 1/2 turn on the lows and see if it helps.

thank you for your reply,
    i did try it, even when i rev the ski, it will just died.
    the ski run great, even in the water, during running high speed or cruising, it will just died like we pull the desskey. and it happend anytime that we donno when gonna happend. .
    do you have any other idea? maybe the MPEM connector or Terminal problem?

thx
    dre

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Hey Dre, it is most likely a carburetion problem. I suspect the engine is loading up at idle, because you didn't mention it lean revving. If you have your low speed screws too far out it will load up from being too rich at idle. After a few minutes like this, without touching the throttle, it will simply die from being too rich.

Try going in 1/2 turn on the lows and see if it helps.

Pull the fuel pump apart and check the mica check valves for cracks, and that the rubber nipple is holding them correctly. Also check for a cracked pulse line.

Another thing to try is crack the gas cap and see if it still dies. The vent check valve on the fuel tank can cause it to vapor lock.

Also make sure the oring is in the fuel strainer, and it is tight. This will give the same symptom too.

Thank you so much, i will try to do that.

dre.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Pull the fuel pump apart and check the mica check valves for cracks, and that the rubber nipple is holding them correctly. Also check for a cracked pulse line.

Another thing to try is crack the gas cap and see if it still dies. The vent check valve on the fuel tank can cause it to vapor lock.

Also make sure the oring is in the fuel strainer, and it is tight. This will give the same symptom too.

hi Dre, does the ski restart immediatly when it shuts off or is it out for a while, check for spark when it happens, check your fuel filter for fuel

Quote Originally Posted by psp View Post
    i had one of those things do the exact same thing to me when i worked at a dealership ,. start fine - run for a few secs then just shut off , key back on then start up and idle perfectly utill the same thing happened.i went through EVERYTHING and even had the doo tech rep have a look at it , he concluded bad MPEM , fitted a new one and guess what - started fine then shut down after 10 secs!!!!!!!!!!!those thing are just BAD News
    Nope, just mis-diagnosis.

So you gave up and sold it after that?

95spi w\factory pipe/96xp Diggler's Avatar

97 xp 800 problem during running

We have a 99 gti that did the same thing the first summer after we bought it used from somone else. I tried everything, as far as checking everything in the fuel system, carbs, filters, o rings ect, i guess a bad voltage regulator exceeding the 14.5 volts to the system can kill the mpem, dont quote me on that because im not sure what really was the problem with that thing. the brp dealership also got a run for there money with that ski by replacing the mpem before finding the issue, which caused them to have to buy another mpem but not on our pocket, also they put a new mag on it, because some how water was getting on it, for what ever magic reason. that summer was a head ache as well as last years with my 96xp, thanks to this site i didnt have to resort to the dealership with that one.

Thread Information